seven.

I got to work on Monday morning at 8:10am, even though I'm not required to get there until 8:30. I was desperate to catch up with Sandra about the funding allocations, because with the school holidays approaching and Will going away for a week with his friends, I would be able to spend the entire first week upgrading the classroom.

I knocked on her office door and waited for her airy voice to call, "come in." As soon as I opened the door, I noticed another body sitting in her office. This one had short brown curly hair and sat with such arrogance that I knew exactly who it was immediately.

"What can I do for you, Jo?" She smiled sweetly over her computer screen at me before continuing to type.

"I can come back if you're busy, my question can wait?" I slowly started backing out of the square room. I know Mr Styles only ever leaves his office for food or very important things, and talking to the business manager, I'm guessing it was important.

"No, it's no trouble at all. We're just finalising the funding allocations and I'll be able to help you in a few seconds." I've never seen someone type so fast before, he must really be pushing her to sort it all out.

"Well funnily enough, my question was about the funding and when we would find out how much we were given." I bit my lip and joined my hands in front of me, picking at the skin around my nails.

She rummaged through a pile of paper to her left before letting out a quiet 'aha' and passing a piece to me. "There's the allocation and obviously the extent to which you can use it. All invoices are to be kept and put in my pigeon hole. The rules regarding classroom displays is in there, which I'm sure you're familiar with, and of course the procedures surrounding left over funds."

My eyes widened at the amount, this is going to be beautiful.

I looked up and my eyes were drawn to the man now staring into my soul with a look of annoyance. "Thanks Sandra, I'll leave you to it." I nodded in his direction, "Mr Styles."

I turned and made my way out the door but not before hearing the cocky "Have a great morning Miss Cook."

I slid open the door to my classroom and let out a loud laugh. I had so many plans for this room and with this huge budget I could do just about all of them. I grabbed a piece of paper from my paper tub and a pen and began planning what jobs would take the longest and created a timeline of my week of decorating. Before I knew it, it was 8:50 and the bell to make your way to class had rung.

"Hello my mini geniuses. This morning we're going to go to the gym and play some basketball because it is very cold and rainy and we should get warm. Sound good?" The classroom erupted in a cheer of excitement and scraping chairs.

The kids had given up on basketball after a half an hour and were now playing downball against the gym walls. A few of the not-so-sporty kids had decided to sit with me and tell me about their weekends, which was rather entertaining.

"And then dad said to mum, 'I didn't fart, it must have been the dog' but we don't even have a dog Miss Jo." Amarli cracked up laughing while telling me about her quiet weekend at home.

"That is very funny. Did you go and see your new baby cousin you were telling me about on Friday?" I leaned back against the timekeep box and continued to listen to the circle of kids around me until a certain statement took my focus.

"My dad's girlfriend gets those." I looked down at Reid who was looking inquisitively at my neck.

Fuck.

"What do you mean, Reid." I cock my head to the side and direct my attention solely at him.

"My dad's girlfriend gets those bruises on her neck too, but only when she straightens her hair. Did you burn yourself on your straightener too?"

I let out the breath I had held during his spiel and smiled at the perfect lie for his question.

"Mmhm, I am very clumsy. That's why we don't play with things that could burn us, isn't that right?" He nodded vigorously and proceeded to tell me about a time he burned himself on the kettle.

The remainder of the day went very smoothly. No further questions about my neck bruises, my makeup had flawlessly covered my eye bruise and school finished right as the sun shone around through the clouds.

I made my way to the staff room to grab my mail from my pigeon hole and make a coffee before I headed home. I was exhausted and needed a caffeine hit before I got behind a wheel.

I had a quick flick through the mail I had received while I waited for the kettle to boil. I couldn't stop yawning and needed the coffee more now than ever. They were the kind of yawns that brought tears to your eyes, but also dried your eyes out because of how much you rubbed them.

The kettle clicked and I stirred my coffee before sitting down to drink it and flick through my phone. On my way out of the staff room, I passed Mr Styles office and hesitated. I should probably double check that I have the keys required to turn off the school security system for when I decorate. The last thing I need is a repeat of last year.

It was my first year teaching after graduating university the year before and I wanted to set up a fun task for the first day and had used the keys given to me to get in the building but I didn't realise to turn off the alarm I needed an additional key. It was extremely awkward when Mr Styles and a police car turned up to find me dancing around in my classroom to ABBA's 'Dancing Queen'.

I knocked four times lightly and heard his deep voice yell, "Come in!'

I opened the door and he looked up from his laptop, rolled his eyes and leant back in his chair.

"What can I listen to you complain about today, Miss Cook?" He lifted his arms to rest behind his head. Were his biceps always that big?

"I just wanted to check and make sure I had all the right keys to get into the school over break to decorate. Don't want you having a sook about being called to the school again." I bit back, already wishing I had just asked the administration lady, Jodie. I threw him my lanyard with my keys on it and he caught it right in front of his face with one hand, never breaking eye contact. If he wasn't such an asshole, I would have thought that was impressive.

He flicked through the keys and tossed them back. "Should be fine. Doesn't really matter though because I'll probably be here everyday doing important things, not just putting posters on a wall." He flicked his eyes towards me and then back to his computer.

I put my hands on my hips, and huffed, "I'll have you know that my qualifications also stretch to being able to laminate said posters as well. That too is very important." Maybe if I can get this guy to crack a smile instead of a smirk, he'll be a touch nicer to me.

He chuckled at my sarcasm, "Well done, Miss Cook. Normally we don't let second year teachers work the big machinery but I'm glad you picked it up so easily."

I accidentally let myself laugh before quickly recovering and saying goodbye before starting to make my way out his office.

"Miss Cook?" He called out to me and I rolled my eyes.

"Miss Jo." I corrected, "what?"

He looked up from his computer and crossed his arms, leant them on his desk before speaking seriously.

"Your extracurriculars are showing. I don't know who you decided to brawl with over your weekend, but make sure the kids don't see it."

I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion before awkwardly leaving his office again. Once I made it out to my car I caught a glimpse of my reflection in my rear view mirror. I'd been yawning non stop the last hour of school and while I waited for my coffee.

I had wiped the makeup around my eye off, black eye almost completely visible.