Chapter 27

As the sun began setting on the horizon, Team Avatar began setting up camp in a thick forest located somewhere in the Earth Kingdom continent.

Toph, their newest member, hopped off of Appa and landed on the fur that he's been shedding recently.

"Wow, you guys picked a great place to camp," Toph stated as she flexed her toes, "The grass is so soft."

"Well...hate to break it to ya, Runt...but, that's not grass," Kaiyo chuckled as he stood by Appa's head, petting the giant flying bison.

"That's Appa's fur, he's shedding" Sokka said as he caught a sleeping bag thrown to him by Aang.

"Ugh-Gross," Katara grimaced slightly.

Kaiyo chuckled, "Hey, it's not like the big guy can help it. "

"Exactly, it's not gross," Aang said with his usual Air Nomad smile, "It just Spring. You know...rebirth...flowers blooming...and Appa gets a new coat."

Appa groaned and nudged Kaiyo with his head. The white haired teen chuckled.

"Ah...the beauty of spring," Katara rolled her eyes as she got the fireplace ready.

Kaiyo simply shook his head, "Don't you worry about them big guy," he gave Appa one last round of petting, "As soon as we get to next to a lake, I'll give you good ol' bath."

"You do know that talking to animals is...weird...right, Rough-Road?" Toph stood behind him with her arms folded and smirk present.

"Nobody asked for your input, Runt," Kaiyo smirked and ruffled her hair.

Toph slapped away his hand, "I find it extremely difficult to irritate you," she narrowed her eyes.

Kaiyo gave a small laugh as he went over to Oka whom was having a nice little nap next to Kaiyo's, not yet set up, tent.

"I know," Kaiyo answered her earlier question as he took out a brush and began to pass it through Oka's coat, Momo eventually flying in on his straw hat.

"Why do you wear that thing? I mean I know why Twinkle Toes over there wears his, but not you..." Toph took a seat next to Kaiyo, "So...why?"

Kaiyo stopped brushing Oka for a moment and glanced to Toph, the blind girl waited patiently for him to answer whilst staring ahead, "...Don't you have a tent you should be putting up?"

Toph's smile that she had slowly faded, "...Seriously?"

"Seriously," Kaiyo went back to brushing Oka's fur.

"You need any help?" Katara came and asked.

"No! I don't! I can carry around my own weight!" Toph suddenly had an outburst.

"Okay...Geez...I was just asking," Katara backed off whilst Kaiyo merely remained silent.

Toph got up grumpily and went over to one side of the camp by herself.

Katara shared a glance with Kaiyo and the boy shook his head at her. Katara simply smiled and went over to Toph anyway.

Kaiyo sighed, 'Why do I even bother...'

He went back to brushing Oka's fur and then moved on to Momo, whom seemed very eager.

"Toph...you know, usually...when we're setting up camp, everyone does a specific--" Katara tried again.

"Look, Katara," Toph cut her off, more civilized this time, "I know that you guys usually do things a certain way, but...I'm good. I don't need any help and I certainly don't need to be given a 'talking to,' okay?"