Chapter One

Pain.

That was all Stiles felt nowadays. At least, that's what it felt like. Pain and hunger and frustration.

It wasn't even the physical injuries that the hunters had inflicted. It wasn't the broken ribs or the sprained wrist or the large gash on his chest that refused to heal. It wasn't the constant dosage of foxglove poison he was breathing in every second of the day.

It was the pain that knowing that he would probably never get out of there. And if he did, he would have no one to turn to, no family or pack to turn to.

Because his last one had been murdered right in front of his eyes. His best friend, his leader, his mother.

His mother. His mother, who lived her whole life protecting him only to be killed right in front of his eyes. It hurt in his chest more than any physical wound could, made him curl closer to his own body in his small fox form in the corner of the room he had inhabited for the last two months.

Stiles' didn't know why they decided to keep him, to spare him from death. Right now, he sort've wished they hadn't made that decision, but it wasn't like it was causing them any pain. It seemed like they had no other purpose for him but an outlet for their anger or a test subject for inhumane experiments involving poison and pain.

However, they hadn't touched him for several days. Maybe it was because he had shifted to his fox form using what little energy he had stored leftover, and they thought torturing a fox wasn't as fun as torturing a human. He figured out later though, that they were just busy.

This was confirmed when the door to the small room was open, the light filtering through the door making him wince and hide his nose in between his arms, though he looked at the person being tossed into the room.

The door shut violently a second later, and Stiles observed the new prisoner of his little "home". He was a human, though he smelled like something different that Stiles couldn't exactly pinpoint. He was quite tall and buff, his hair light-looking and slight curly, his chest heaving up and down as he was breathing quite heavily as he pushed himself against the opposite wall.

Stiles watched as the boy's eyes quickly scanned the room, as if he knew something else was in it with him, his eyes landing on the fox in the corner with the matted fur and dried blood, eyes narrowing as he looked at him further.

"Are you supernatural?" The boy said, but Stiles' didn't respond. He finally figured out what the boy smelled like; wolf. It scared him, and made him wonder if they had just thrown the boy in there so that they would fight and the boy would finally put Stiles out of his misery.

After the fox didn't respond, the boy scoffed, looking down at his hands. "That was a stupid question. Obviously you can't respond, you're a fox." A pause. "I feel like I'm talking to myself."

Stiles huffed softly, though he knew the boy probably heard it. He seemed quite soft, and Stiles' doubts faded ever so slightly, though he didn't reveal himself or what he actually was. He seemed entertaining actually, but that could just be because he was the one person who came into the room and didn't immediately begin to hurt him.

"I'm Isaac." The boy said after a few moments. "I know you can probably tell I'm a werewolf, even if you're not supernatural, but I promise I won't hurt you."

Stiles moved his head up slightly, making Isaac raise his eyebrow up expectantly, waiting for anything more than a small movement of the fox's head to confirm something else, but it just continued to stare at him with wide brown eyes.

"Are you hurt?" Isaac asked, looking at the matted fur of the fox. He honestly didn't know why he kept talking to it, because he wasn't even sure if it was supernatural, the feeling he had could just be sympathy for the dejected looking creature.

Stiles huffed again, as this was not a yes or no answer, but Isaac seemed to take it one way. He reached out his hand, as if he was gesturing for the fox to come closer.

"I can take your pain, if you want." Isaac offered, though he already felt quite weak. But something told him this fox needed help, and it seemed like he was going to be the only one to offer it at the moment.

To his surprise, the fox moved, beginning to get up, slowly making its way towards Isaac before laying back down near his feet, just close enough that the werewolf could touch him with his hand but not too close. Its slow gait and slight lean to the left only confirmed Isaac's suspicion that it was injured, and he softly placed his hand onto the fox's back, letting the black veins run up his arm for a few moments before pulling away, feeling better knowing that he had helped relieve the fox of some pain.

He winced, only slightly though, as he was surprised at how much pain he had taken in those brief moments. His heart hurt, as if it had been ripped out of his chest, but eventually it faded into a low throbbing pain in the background.

Isaac leaned back against the wall, offering a weak smile to the fox who curled up a little bit closer to Isaac's feet as if showing that it trusted him more.

Isaac watched, smiling wider as the fox's eyes began to glow a bright violet, letting the werewolf know that he was in fact supernatural and he trusted the boy.

And Stiles had his first friend in months.