Chapter Fourteen

The next morning when Derek woke up, Stiles was no longer pressed next to him. In fact, human Stiles wasn't even there anymore. Instead, a small fox was laid across Derek's chest, still asleep, Stiles' clothes abandoned next to them.

Derek assumed that Stiles had shifted sometime during the night, maybe in his sleep, slowly sitting up and cradling the small fox in his arms. He knew foxes were smaller than wolves but he didn't know how small they really were, well, until he was holding one.

He stood up, walking downstairs to see it was eleven o'clock, glad he woke up then, as he knew the pack was coming over in a half hour to check up on the small fox.

Derek set the sleeping animal on the couch, making himself a cup of coffee and sitting down on the couch next to Stiles, sipping his mug as he opened his book to where he left off.

He turned around as most of the pack walked in, probably because they often shared rides, not noticing the sleeping fox next to Derek yet.

"Where's Stiles?" Scott asked, frowning as he closed the door. Derek nodded to the fox on the couch, making the boy's eyes widen as he quieted down.

They took their spots on the couches, engaging in quiet conversation. Isaac convinced Scott to turn on a movie other than Star Wars, which was quite a rare occurrence. Derek continued his reading, occasionally tuning into Theo, Liam, and Isaac's conversation on what the best sport was (Liam and Isaac argued lacrosse, but Derek agreed with Theo that basketball was superior).

His attention was brought back to Stiles, however, when he saw him shift from his position next to him, glancing around in confusion before he spotted Derek next to him, moving to lay his head on Derek's leg, looking up with him happy brown eyes.

"Good morning." Derek said quietly. "Are you feeling better?" The fox's head bobbed up and down, his eyes still remaining on Derek's face as he turned back to his book, figuring that Stiles just wanted to stay at a fox for the day.

He glanced back up when he realized Lydia was staring at him, a knowing smile on her face that made Derek frown slightly, but he just ignored it and looked back down at his book.

The day went by quickly, the pack just lounging around knowing that one of their members was out of commission. Scott left around three, saying he had a shift at the animal clinic around four, Isaac leaving with the claim that he needed to "keep him company" (although Derek was just wondering when the two were going to get together).

"So, Derek." Theo asked, a smug smile on his face. At this point, it was half past six and it was just Lydia, Theo, and Liam remaining in the loft, Allison having to go to a family event and Malia needing to go home to her adoptive father. "How are you and Stiles?"

Derek frowned, looking down at the sleeping boy who had moved fully onto his lap in the past hour. "Stiles is fine?" Derek said, his answer phrased more as a question.

"Come on, Derek." Lydia said, her voice filled with amusement. "When are you two gonna be a thing?"

Derek frowned again, shrugging, though his mind wandered to the kiss they had shared last night, his mouth tugging upwards into a small smile.

"What happened?" Lydia asked, noticing the small expression of happiness that was quite rare on the alpha.

"Nothing, there's nothing going on." Derek rejected, trying to go back to his normal face but failing as Theo scoffed.

"Come on, even Liam can see it." Theo joked, making the boy next to him frown and look at his boyfriend in confusion.

"See what?" Liam asked, making Theo shake his head and mutter "dear god". Derek looked back down as Stiles began to move again, the fox stretching out as he opened his eyes.

Lydia smiled as Stiles looked around the room again. "You're such a cute fox!" She said, and Derek tried to ignore the small twinge in his stomach as Stiles got up with a dopey smile on his fox face, going to sit next to Lydia as she pet him.

Derek watched as Stiles curled up next to Lydia's legs, his attention pulled back to Theo as the teenager began to laugh out loud, his eyebrows raised.

"Nothing going on." Theo repeated Derek's words from before, making the alpha roll his eyes.

About an hour later, it was just Lydia and the two residents of the loft, but Lydia "suddenly" realized she had a lot of homework. If Stiles felt like shifting back to human, he would've told her it was a Saturday, but she left after exchanging a strange look with Derek that Stiles couldn't recognize.

Derek reclined back on the couch, pulling his book back out as he heard Stiles pad away quietly, figuring he wanted some alone time or wanted to sleep in an actual bed, knowing that despite his healing abilities he was probably still weaker than usual.

He was suddenly startled when Stiles suddenly flew over the back of the couch, back in his human form and clad in a pair of sweatpants, landing on top of Derek's stomach and making the werewolf groan as his lungs got emptied quickly.

"What are you doing?" Derek laughed, watching the boy squirm up, laying flat on top of Derek, his nose pressed into Derek's chest.

"I want to cuddle with you." Stiles admitted, pulling himself closer to Derek's face, his lips pulled into a wide grin as they ghosted over Derek's lips.

"Are you going to kiss me, or just tease?" Derek murmured softly, leaning his head forwards to press his lips against Stiles'. It was sweet and short, but still as full of passion as the night before.

Stiles pulled away, a lethargic smile on his face. "Thank you Derek." He said, leaning his head against Derek's chest.

"For what?" Derek asked. Stiles looked back up at Derek, his eyes glowing with love for the werewolf.

"For everything, Der." Stiles said. "For rescuing me, for letting me live here." He paused, a knowing smile on his face. "For kissing me."

"Of course." Derek responded. "I'll kiss you again, if you want."

"I would love that," Stiles said cheekily, getting closer to Derek and closing the distance between their mouths. Derek wrapped his arms around Stiles' bare back bringing their two bodies closer if that was even possible.

Stiles leaned back after a few moments, his forehead being showered in kisses as he pressed his nose against Derek's neck, smiling against the alpha's skin.

The rest of the night was occupied with lots of cuddling, kisses, and adorable moments shared between the wolf and the fox.

Maybe foxes and wolves can get along after all.