Chapter Seven

"Stiles?" Scott's voice came from down the hallway, where he was standing with the rest of the pack. "Mom, what are you doing here?"

"I was helping Stiles enroll in school." She said, hugging her son. "Now, I've gotta run to the hospital, but I'll see you later, honey." Scott hugged her as she walked towards the doors, and he turned to Stiles who was standing next to him.

"We have lacrosse practice now, usually everyone stays to watch," Scott explained, gesturing to everyone who were walking down the hallway. "I can introduce you to coach and maybe he'll let you try it out?" He looked at Stiles hopefully, who contemplated it for a moment.

"Sure, can you tell Derek that I'm going to stay?" Stiles said, and Scott nodded, leading him to where the pack was waiting for them and they began to walk out towards the field.

"How come you don't play lacrosse, Theo?" Stiles asked as he sat down on the bleachers next to the boy, the girls sitting behind them.

"I had a heart transplant when I was younger, so I try to stay away from sports." Theo explained, his eyes trained on Liam as the younger boy took his spot in goal. Stiles nodded, squinting as Scott was talking to who he assumed was the coach pointed to him. His eyes widened as the coach turned towards him, an angry look on his face (though Stiles wasn't sure if that was because of him or just his natural face) and gestured for him to come there.

Stiles frowned for a second before he felt Lydia push on his back gently. "I think Coach Finstock wants you to go over there, Stiles." Lydia asked, her voice slightly amused as he got up, quickly walking over to where the coach was waiting with Scott.

"You," The coach said, his voice demanding as Stiles finally got close to them. "What's your name?"

"Stiles," He said, glancing at Scott, who nodded encouragingly. "Stiles Stilinski." The coach looked at him harder, making him frown.

"You ever played lacrosse?" Stiles shook his head. "Are you fast?"

"He's really fast, Coach." Scott stepped in, looking at the adult hopefully. Stiles frowned again as the man looked his lean build up and down.

"Just try to get the ball in the net." The Coach said, shoving a lacrosse stick into Stiles' hands.

"And try not to get killed, if you're any good god knows we'll need you next Friday." The Coach seemed to be finished with the conversation, using his whistle to start yelling at the other boys, Scott shrugging as Stiles shot him a confused look.

The drill began with Stiles sort of lost, as they were doing some sort of three on three drill with him, Isaac, and Scott on attack and three other boys on defense, with Liam in goal.

Stiles jumped a little bit as the whistle blew, and he began to run towards the goal as Scott scooped a ball up in his stick. Stiles felt like he had no idea what he was doing at the moment but also felt like he had played this before, running towards the goal as Scott was immediately plagued by two of the defending players, tossing the ball up into the air towards Stiles.

Holy shit. Was all Stiles thought, looking at the ball flying towards him. Instinctively, he reached his stick up, the ball landing easily in the small net of the stick.

He stared at the ball in his possession for a millisecond in surprise before taking off towards the field, and he saw Liam tense up and get ready to block the ball from going into the net.

Stiles quickly dodged past two of the defenders, feeling glad he was part fox knowing there was no other way he would be able to be doing this right now, quickly throwing the ball towards the goal and stopping in his tracks as he saw the ball fly past Liam's ear and into the goal.

He turned towards Scott and the others near the bleachers who were yelling excitedly for their new friend whose mouth was open in shock, because Stiles didn't actually think he'd be any good at the game.

"Dude, that was crazy!" Scott jogged up to Stiles as the coach blew the whistle. "You were so fast, it was like you're a pro at this sport!"

Stiles opened his mouth to respond but was cut off by the coach blowing the whistle in their ears, making them both flinch.

"Yes!" The coach yelled into their ears. "Now that is young talent right there! McCall, if you have any other weirdo friends who are ridiculously good at lacrosse, you are ordered to bring them to me!" Stiles frowned at the coach's statement, covering his mouth as another slight coughing fit started up once more, but Scott just shook his head as the coach turned to get another drill going.

"I was the one who got Isaac and Liam on the team too." Scott explained, making Stiles nod in understanding.

The rest of the practice seemed to go quite well for Stiles in his friends. Coach decided that he was better at offense then defense, and Stiles agreed, because he wasn't exactly partial to any spot. At the end of the practice, while he was in the locker room waiting for the others to change, a jersey with the number 24 was shoved into his hands by the coach, who told him he better be at practice tomorrow.

After his new lacrosse practice, Lydia and Allison dropped him off at the loft, leaving him to walk up to the loft on his own because the others all had homework to do in their own houses.

He closed the door, spotting Derek reading a book on the couch, not yet noticing the fox boy who arrived home. Stiles grinned, hopping over the back of the couch to land next to Derek, making the alpha frown and recoil in shock the slightest bit.

"I scared you." Stiles teased, looking at the book that was in Derek's hands. It was something about foxes, making him grin.

"No you didn't." Derek said, his face cross although Stiles knew it was nothing but amusement. "How was lacrosse?"

"I got on the team!" Stiles said, holding the jersey up to show Derek. Derek smiled, a big smile with teeth that he had seemed to be using a lot more now that Stiles was around. His eyes lit up as he told the werewolf about his newfound interest, going on to explain what they had done during his first practice and how Isaac and Theo told him he was surprisingly good for never having played before. "I scored like, ten goals today. Scott said the game that determines whether or not they go to the championships is next week, you should come."

"I wouldn't miss it." Derek said, leaning his cheek on Stiles' head as Stiles rested against his shoulder.

"Why are you reading about foxes?" Stiles asked, looking at the book that was now abandoned on the coffee table.

"I wonder." Derek said sarcastically, his voice filled with amusement, and Stiles just huffed, cuddling closer to Derek's side as the older man turned on a quiet movie for them to watch.