Chapter Six

It was three days later when Deaton asked Derek to bring Stiles back into the animal clinic for a small checkup of the boy's wounds. Since the initial visit, Stiles had been feeling much better, good enough to be able to shift back to his fox form, but Derek refused to let him per Deaton's orders.

So that's where the two were walking into at around eleven o'clock in the morning, the rest of the pack already at school where they had planned to go next to enroll Stiles in school.

"Hello Stiles, how are you feeling?" Deaton asked as the boy climbed onto the familiar metal table, Derek leaning against the other metal countertop to watch.

"I'm fine." Stiles answered honestly. "I feel much better, besides the cough." Deaton nodded, lifting up Stiles' shirt and peeling off the bandages as the boy leaned back, looking at the gash that had been reduced to a thin scar crossing his chest.

"Well, it looks like all of your external injuries have healed quite nicely." Deaton began, feeling around Stiles' torso. "And I believe your ribs are fine. The cough will remain for quite a while due to the long exposure time, but it will go away eventually. You're all good."

"Thank you, Dr. Deaton." Stiles said, pulling his shirt back down as the doctor stepped away. "Do you think I could play lacrosse?"
The doctor looked thoughtful for a moment, as if he was contemplating the risk. "I don't see why not. As long as you don't overexert yourself, you should be fine." Stiles nodded happily, hopping off the table as Derek stood up straighter, knowing they were going to the school next.

They got in the car quietly, Derek turning on the radio as Stiles began to hum to the song quietly as they drove the school nearby.

"I just go in there?" Stiles asked as they pulled into the parking lot, and Derek nodded.

"You can go in there and take a left, and the office should be right there. Just say you want to enroll and they should help you from there." Derek explained as Stiles unbuckled his seatbelt, giving the fox a reassuring squeeze of his hand before Stiles got out, shoving his hands in his pockets as he walked towards the school.

Getting to the office was easy enough, and he walked up to the first desk he saw, and a kind-faced lady looked up at him from where she was typing on the computer.

"Hello honey, what did you need?" She asked, her voice soft and light as she stopped her typing.

"I, uh, wanted to enroll in school here." Stiles explained sheepishly, wishing Derek had come in with him. "My name is Stiles, I'm seventeen."

"Alright." She said, looking down at her computer. "What's your last name?" Stiles paused. His last name was a blurry memory that he couldn't remember and he frowned, opening his mouth to tell her he didn't remember, but he was interrupted.

"Stilinski." Stiles' head whipped around to see a nice looking lady who looked like someone he knew, but he couldn't remember who.

She looked at him, smiling at him. "My name is Melissa, I'm Scott's mother." Stiles immediately felt better, nodding as she went to stand next to him, turning to the woman.

"I'm his legal guardian as of Sheriff Stilinski's last living will, so I can help him with the enrollment." Melissa spoke to the lady, who shook away from her shock at the mention of a Stilinski.

Stiles was slightly confused, but moved on as the lady handed him a clipboard with a few forms on it.

It took them quite a while to fill them all out, even with the help of Melissa, and by the time Stiles was officially "enrolled" into Beacon Hills High School the school day was over.

"Thank you," Stiles told Melissa as they stepped out of the office, Stiles' hands full of papers that the lady from the office had given him.

"It's no problem." She said warmly, giving him a nice smile. "I'll have Scott bring over some of his old school supplies tonight so you can use them for tomorrow."