Chapter Eight

Today was Stiles' first day of high school and he wasn't sure how to feel. He felt nervous, of course, because he hadn't been to school in forever, but he knew that he knew this stuff- his mother taught him well.

"It's going to be fine." Derek told Stiles as Stiles put on a t-shirt. Derek was still resting on his bed, watching as the younger boy got ready for his first day. Stiles looked up, smiling weakly at the alpha.

Stiles glanced back at him, staring at the alpha who was lying in the bed they had been sharing. He was truly beginning to question Derek's memory. After his second night there, Stiles managed to convince Derek to sleep in his bed. Derek, after all, had told Stiles that he ordered a second mattress that was supposed to come on Thursday night. It was Friday morning and Stiles wasn't even sure if Derek even ordered a second bed.

Stiles zipped up the backpack that Scott dropped off late last night, full of supplies that Scott's mother had gotten on her way back from the hospital.

"What if there's a hunter at the school?" Stiles asked, looking at Derek with a worried face as he began to think of every bad thing that could possibly happen.

"If there is," Derek began, standing up from where he was reclining in a horizontal position. "You have Scott's old phone, you can text him or anyone from the pack and they'll help. But there won't be a hunter at school, they usually recruit after the age of twenty."

"But what about the teachers?" Stiles asked, his eyes becoming even more worried, the edges even turning the slightest bit purple that any normal human wouldn't have noticed.

"Stiles." Derek said, pulling the boy into a hug. "You're going to be fine. Now, let's get you to school." Stiles nodded, stepping away from the comforting presence as they went down the stairs and into the car, Derek beginning the short drive to the high school.

"What if-" Stiles began, turning to Derek, who looked at him with a "i-swear-to-god-if-you- say-someone-else-is-a-hunter-I'm-going-to-kill-you" look, making Stiles nod, turning back towards the road as they pulled into the high school parking lot.

"Thank you, Der." Stiles said, shutting the door to the sleek car as Derek pulled away after sending him one last reassuring smile. Stiles nodded, muttering to himself some words of encouragement before walking into the high school, his eyes and ears searching for someone familiar in the crowds.

He finally spotted Theo talking to some girl he didn't recognize, and he paused slightly, unsure if he should go over and talk to him. They were becoming friends, yes, but they all had lives out of the supernatural. He didn't, and he didn't want to make them feel like they had to include him in their own lives.

However, Theo didn't seem to be bothered by what Stiles was worrying about, because as soon as Stiles snapped himself out of his thoughts he saw Theo and the girl he was talking to walking towards him.

"Stiles," Theo began, a warm smile on his face. "This is my friend, Hayden. She's in Liam's grade."

"Hi, I'm Stiles." Stiles smiled at the girl, who returned it.

"Nice to meet you." Hayden said, before turning to Theo. "I need to go talk to Corey before class, but are you going to watch lacrosse after school?"

"Yeah, I'll see you there." Theo called down the hallway where she was walking away as the bell rang before turning back to Stiles. "What class do you have first?" Stiles looked down at the flimsy piece of paper he had in his hands, scanning the paper for a moment.

"Anatomy." Stiles said, making Theo smile and nod, telling him he had that class as well. He led him down the hall and into what he called the science hall, explaining what the teacher was like and how boring anatomy was, getting offended when Stiles said it was interesting to him.

The morning passed by quickly, and luckily Stiles had one or two of the werewolves (or banshee or hunter girls) in each of his morning classes and luckily as seniors they all had lunch together (besides Liam).

"Do you like your first day of school, Stiles?" Scott asked as they all sat down at a table outside because it was nice out, although it was going to start getting colder because of the fall.

"Yeah," Stiles nodded, looking around the table. "My favorite class is anatomy so far." Theo groaned, rolling his eyes.

"I don't understand how you find that class bearable." Theo began. "And it starts at seven-thirty too, it is too early." Stiles just laughed starting to eat curly fries on his plate.

The conversation drifted between topics at that point, switching from lacrosse to different classes and a few other things Stiles didn't exactly pay attention to.

Eventually, their free period ended and Stiles had to go to his next and final class, math, which he didn't seem to have with anyone.

Immediately as he walked into the classroom, he began to cough, his nose itching as he looked around. The only other person in the room was a lady with short red hair and a resting bitch face, who gave him a strange look as he finally got his coughing fit under control.

"You're Mr. Stilinski, correct?" She asked, her voice taught and it made him shiver as he nodded. "You can sit right there, in the corner." She pointed to the front row, closest to the windows, which made him thankful as the slight breeze from outside helped stop what seemed to be an allergic reaction to something in the room.

Suddenly, he realized what the scent was, his body freezing up as the fear seemed to stop all the blood flow, his fingers going numb as he turned to look at the teacher sitting at the front desk.

She had a sly smile on her face, as if she knew he just figured out what the smell and what was bothering him was, his realization only growing as he figured out that it was her that smelt like that as she lifted up a thin finger to her lips as a warning.

Foxglove.