Chapter 8

"Good afternoon!" My mom comes into my room, holding a tray of food. "It's your first full day home! How do you feel?" She beams at me, sitting down on my bed.

I was released last night, after spending a few days in the hospital. I'm grateful I'm finally out of there. I had to give a police statement explaining what happened. I didn't give any names, but it was really scary. My phone has went off a couple of times too, but I've been too absorbed in school work to check it. It's probably just junk emails anyways.

"I feel relieved. I'm happy not waking up to wires in me anymore." I say and she chuckles.

"Me too. You're face isn't as swollen either. Your bruises are dark, but they'll go away eventually." She gives a weak smile. "Make sure you take your medicine so you're not in so much pain."

"I will, thank you." I smile at her.

"Anyways! I made soup since I know it hurts to chew still. Make sure you eat at least half. You've barely been eating lately." A frown comes over her face as she hands me a bowl.

"I'll try." I smile, raising the spoon to my lips.

She eats with me in silence, until the sound of my phone ringing fills the room.

"It's probably just a salesman." I mumble.

"Should I answer for you?" She asks and I shrug.

"Sure." I respond and she grabs my phone.

She looks at the screen, frowning for a moment before answering.

"Hello?.... No, this is her mother......oh, we apologize for that. She just got out of the hospital yesterday too.....wait what?.....wait no, I don't think that's a good- Hello? Hello? He hung up." My mother takes the phone from her ear, frowning.

"Who was it?" I frown, it clearly wasn't a salesman.

"That boy I think... it sounded like him. The one who came over? He said you haven't answered him so he thought he should give you a call, and that you said you'd hang out with him when he gets back from his training camp? Something like that. He got back yesterday but you haven't responded."

"Oh, Tsukishima-Kun." I mumble.

I forgot he came back yesterday. I haven't looked at my phone in a while. He still wanted to hang out? I thought I was too needy for him.

"He's coming over. I tried to say no but he hung up." My mom sighs and I look at her, shocked.

"Right now??" I ask and she nods.

"Mei... he's safe, right? He's never....?"

"No, he's never hit me before. But we aren't really friends? I don't know, he's difficult to understand." I shake my head and my mother bites her lip.

"Alright. I'll let him in then?" She asks and I nod again, taking a couple more bites of the soup before putting the hardly eaten bowl of liquid down. "You're done? You barely ate..."

"I can't really eat right now." I say, and my mother sighs.

"Alright, I'll put it away then. When the boy comes, I'll send him up." She grabs the tray again and stands.

"Alright, thank you." I say as she walks out, humming in response.

I really don't want Tsukishima to come. I haven't looked at myself but I'm sure I look horrid. Although the swelling in my face has gone down, my bruises are now the darkest they'll get. Even on my arms and legs, the bruising looks gross. If he sees my face, he'll definitely be scared.

I lay down, pulling the covers all the way up to my shoulders, and face the wall my bed is pushed up against. If I stay like this, he'll only see the back of my head. I stuff my arms under the blanket and close my eyes as I wait.