bad dreams

S A M

The sun is high in the sky, small strays dancing through the branches and leaves of the huge weeping willow tree above them. Sam watches his brother looking through the old journal their father left them all those years ago. He smiles to himself, glad to see his big brother finally outside the bunker, focusing on something other than the grief he so hard tries to hide from him. Sam turns back to the map in front of him, spread over the hood of the impala.

The impala goes quiet as they stop in front of the old barn. They have to find the missing boys before anything happens to them. That's what they do, saving people. The Winchesters finding the monsters that other people only hear about in stories, but that is very very real for them. Hunting things.

The last of the masked creature falls to the ground. Sam smiles at his brother, proud of having won another hunt, saving those boys. Dean is leaning against a beam at the other end of the barn, but he's not smiling. «Sammy.»

Sam stands there crying, the only thing holding up his big brother. His hero. He stopped breathing several minutes ago. The last tear dried up, on its way down his beautiful face. His green eyes never to see the sun again. His brother. Dean. Gone.

***

Sam screams himself awake, again. Abruptly sitting up in his bed. His covers fall to the floor as he breathes heavily, looking around. The alarm clock at his nightstand shows 07:58. The bunker is dead quiet.

He quickly gets out of bed, almost tripping on his slippers beside his bed. Still, in his pajamas, he sprints down the hallway to his brother's room. The bunker is dead quiet.

This is the third night in a row that Sam has had the same dream. The first night he woke when he and Dean arrived at the barn. The second night he woke when he and Dean had killed all the masked creatures. But this time it seemed that Sam woke after the dream had ended. That's what scares him this time, so much that he runs down the hall to check on his brother. The bunker is too quiet.

Stopping in front of the closed door, he draws a shaky breath as he slowly opens the bedroom-door. A sleeping figure is sprawled across the bed, half covered in a blanket. Dean sleeps heavily in his double-sized bed. At the sight of his brother, Sam lets out a relieved breath closing his eyes, leaning his forehead against the bed.

The alarm on the nightstand goes off as the clock ticks to 08:00. A deep growl comes from the sleepy figure, as Dean slams his hand down on the alarm clock and a head appears from underneath the blankets. Still half asleep, Dean lifts his head and looks at his brother.

«Sammy? Please turn off the light or close the door, I need at least half an hour before I can function as a human being. And I prefer to suffer that half-hour in the dark.»
«Ehm, sorry, I... I was just coming to tell you, breakfasts ready in twenty minutes.» Sam half-smiles as he turns to close the door. Relief filling his body as he realizes it was just a bad dream.
«I WANT BACON!» Dean half yells as the door closes.

Miracle comes running down the hall at the sound of Dean's sleepy voice. Sam reaches down to scratch his head and places a kiss at the top of his head before slightly opening the bedroom door again. Miracle slips through it and Sam can hear him jumping onto the bed. As Sam turns to head to the bathroom he hears Dean laughing quietly in his room. The bunker is peacefully quiet.

Still, the memory of Dean dying in his arms, stings somewhere in the back of his mind, not being able to let it go. The fact that he had dreamt the same thing three nights in a row, was too much of a coincidence to not mean something. Especially if your last name is Winchester.