41~ Natalie White

The darkness I was enveloped in thinned as a splash of cold water jostled me awake.

I opened my eyes but I couldn't see anything or anyone in the darkness yet I could sense the presence and shadows of people.

"The girl haven't killed herself boss, just passed out", I recognised the voice of the man who asked me to kill myself.

I didn't die?

"You'll come down here yourself sir?"

I stilled at the mention of Hawthorn going to come down here but then reminded myself that it's what I came here in the first place for.

Reaching out blinding in dark, I tried to look for the gun. My hand sweeped over the dirt of the basement floor before accidentally touching something squishy and rotten, probably a dead mouse. Holding in my gag reflex and the need to faint, I kept sweeping until my hand grazed against the cold glock.

Grabbing it, I checked to see why it didn't fire, eventhough I remember quite distinctively I pulled the trigger. Running my hand over the gun I realised that the safety was on. Thank heavens for that.

Due to one of my senses being completely shut off, the others were now heightened. I could hear the man who wanted me to kill myself still on the phone to my right. Taking a deep breath, with shaky hands I pulled back the safety and waited for him to end the call

"No Boss. We'll send a vehicle to you right away"

"Yes Boss. Understood", he hung up and started walking towards me.

"The boss will take care of you personally. He'll make sure you regret the moment you didn't kill yourself", He was now within reach.

Just as he got even more closer to me, he flashed a light in my face But in a reflex, my finger twitched and I accidentally pulled the trigger.

The shot that sounded deafened my ears as the man grunted and fell on the ground. Quickly adjusting my eyes to the little light illuminating from the flashlight I scanned the man on thr ground.

He was dead. I killed him. There was a shot on the front left side of his shirt. Right where his heart should be. Blood was pooling around him. I killed a man. Though it was accidental and I initially did want to shoot him, I didn't plan on him dieing! What do I do?

My breaths quickened as the man layed lifeless beside the rotting mouse. Shaking myself from off the ground, I tried to break free, forgetting the chains that held me to the wall.

With no other choice remaining, I started patting the dead man down to find keys that could free my hands. The flashlight gave only little light, so I wasn't able to see the blood until I accidentally touched it.

"No", I couldn't help as the stench of blood on my hands together with the rotting mice smell made me gag everything I've ever eaten onto the floor beside the corpses.

Cringing I had no choice but to keep looking for the keys to free myself. Searching through a inner pocket, I found a ring of keys. Trying each and every one of them, I finally managed to uncuff my wrists and free myself from the chains

Stepping over my vomit and the dead man, barely missing the mouse, I grabbed the gun latched on to his belt and walked as far away as I possibly can from the rotting human and animal bodies.

Just as I was about to leave the stinking basement, I heard voices from outside the door making me hide myself behind it.

The door busted open and smashed my nose flat, illuminating the dark basement as I winced in pain. I peeked out from behind the door and saw five men and Hawthorn.