~7

Marie woke up in a bed, feeling dizzy, and just bad overall.

A letter was left next to her and she started to read it.

Hello little one, You're in the hospital of wall Rose. Don't worry, you're safe now, and no one will hurt you. I hope I'll see you once more in good health.

~Hange Zoë

"So the person's name who saved me is Hange Zoë."  Marie thought.

Marie widened her eyes when she remembered what happened. She remembered how Range got eaten and how Rose got crushed. The smell of blood and the smell of intestines filled her nose again.

"N-" Marie tried to scream no but blood filled her crushed throat making her choke on it.

A nurse ran into her room when she saw her coughing on blood.

"Oh, little one! You're awake, that's good but don't try to speak, or your wound will open up again." The nurse said as she rubbed circles on Marie's back and she wiped the blood away with a tissue.

"Let me explain what's going on with you okay?" The nurse said while simultaneously throwing the tissue away in the bin. "You've been injured on your throat and head. Your throat is crushed, as well as your vocal cords... This means that you're unable to speak from now on...  You might have gotten brain damage but that's uncertain because we couldn't figure it out completely... I'm sorry." The nurse gave Marie a sad look while Marie started to silently cry.

"Here," The nurse gave Marie a little notebook and a pen. "You can write on this if you want to talk."

Marie started to write

Is this for real? Can I still join the Survey Corps with this Injury and possible brain damage?

The nurse widened her eyes for a second but then started speaking.

"It is... There is no chance of restoring your voice. But joining the Survey Corps, after everything you've been through? Well... I suppose you're still able to If your brain's okay..."

Marie nodded while reaching for her throat with a sad look.

"Try to rest a little more okay? Your body needs lots of energy to heal." The nurse let Marie lay down as Marie quickly drifted off to sleep.

............

A couple of weeks have passed and Marie was almost fully healed. She had a nasty scar on her throat and on the right side of her forehead. Marie now basically carried a notebook and pen everywhere even though she didn't go further than the hospital and the staff had grown fond of her.

Marie was sitting at the edge of her bed, staring at the drawing of her family.'

"Hey, Marie, someone sent something in the mail. It was sent to the refugees center with your name but people realized that you didn't live there so they gave it to the nurse who knows you. It eventually ended up here so open it." The nurse handed over the letter to Marie as she gently opened it.

Dear Marie,  

I hope you're alive and well. Sorry that I never reached out... The Survey Corps is always busy and I knew that you would be fine with that elderly couple. I've been thinking about you and I am really worried about the fall of Wall Maria and what happened in the Shiganshina District. 

I have some things to say to you. You're allowed to start training in the cadet corps a year earlier than the rest. You can only join the cadets when you're twelve but they are willing to make an exception for you. You can apply next year when you've turned eleven.