~9

Marie and the others are learning how to keep their balance while wearing ODM gear. They're standing on the training grounds when Keith started talking

"First, we'll evaluate what you have! Anyone unable to do this can't even serve as a decoy! They will be sent to the frontier."

The General of the Three Military Branches, Darius Zackly, was watching how everyone was doing while talking to his assistant about them.

"These involve rudimentary basics, but even at this stage, you can see their potential with ODM gear," Darius said to his assistant. "Look, She's as steady as a rock." Darius looked over at Mikasa. "She knows exactly what to do. That's what I mean with potential."

"And the girl over there?" The assistant said as he pointed to Marie.

Marie was just staring at the clouds and not even focusing on her balance.

"She's not even focusing but she keeps her balance."

"Looks like we have a lot of potential this year." Darius seemed proud of the 104th Cadet corpse.

"And what about him?" The assistant pointed to Eren who was upside down.

"That's what I mean... He may have the will, but not necessarily the talent."

"What are you doing Eren!" Keith yelled at him. "Pick yourself up!"

Marie got pulled out of her thoughts by Keith's yelling.

"Seems like Eren has trouble... Mikasa might be able to help." Marie thought. "She's  good at this and Eren will appreciate her help."

"Marie! come to my office at 4!" Keith yelled to her. 

Marie saluted to say yes.

"Why does he want to see me?"

"Why doesn't she talk? She hasn't said anything at all." One of the boys in front of her said.

"Yeah, I bet she can't become anything use full. If she joins the Survey corps she'll be titan food." Another boy whispered.

"The fuck are they talking about?" Marie became a little angry. She signed at the instructor to her right to let her down because she already knew that she was hanging long enough.

The instructor let her down but before she could do anything, a blonde boy stepped in.

"Enough. She probably has her reasons and I bet she has more power than you two do." The blonde boy said to the other two boys.

"What was that?!"

"Hey! No fighting here. Next one coming up!" The instructor said to them.

Marie walked away from the two boys and stood next to the blonde

"Reiner Braun. You're Marie right?" Reiner asked her.

Marie nodded and grabbed her notebook.

Thanks for that. My vocal cords have been crushed so I'm unable to speak. It's hard to explain as you can understand.

"Yeah... I can understand. Those bastards just need to shut their mouths." Reiner said as he glared at the two boys.

Marie smiled.

"Reiner is actually really nice but the energy that surrounds him is slightly off." Marie thought.

After everyone was done we were allowed to leave. Mikasa and Armin stayed to help Eren out with his ODM gear.

"You're not staying to help Eren?" Armin asked Marie.

Marie shook no and pointed to Keith's cabin.