TWENTY THREE

Toyin was now much freer with him. They shared everything with each other.

He was shocked when she told him she was actually Igbo and her father was from Abia. He just assumed she was Yoruba because of the name.

But, It is her Mum that is Yoruba, she was named after her maternal grandmother who passed away a week before she was born. Her Igbo name is Amara while her English name is Maryanne.

He said his sister is married to an igbo man too then showed her pictures of his nieces proudly.

"So you are the black sheep of the family?" She laughed

"At this point I think I am worse than a black sheep, look at me, I quit my job and I am squatting with a girl, in Lagos" He dissed himself.

"But why did you really quit everything like that, that was very bold of you?"

He told her about how his mother died just 1 year after her cancer diagnosis despite the fact that she did chemo and was recovering. Her death shook him to his very core and changed his view on life, he started questioning everything, he lost faith in God, he was numb emotionally, he just wanted a break so he quit everything and started travelling.

*******

On one Monday evening, he came home around 9pm with his street food. This time It was Port Harcourt style Boli (roasted yam, plantain) and fish. She was so tempted to join him because its been ages since she had it. The Lagos Boli was dry and boring, where did he even find a PH joint.

She followed him to the kitchen where he was already entering the thing with beer. The delicious aroma of the grilled fish in pepper sauce and the Utazi and onion rings garnishing gave her heavy nostalgia.

"Where did you get Port Harcourt Bole and fish?" She cried.

"It's from a rugged street corner in Ebute metta" He smiled proudly as he sandwiched a piece of yam, plantain and fish then took a bite... He was even eating it with his hand! he knew how to run it lol. This one would have been an agbero if he grew up in Nigeria she thought.

"Damn its late I can't eat now, i wish I could go there tomorrow to get some for lunch" She whined her eyes glued to his plate.

"Do you even know where Ebute metta is? Don't try it o, they'll rob you. Ajebutter "

"Look at this IJGB, me and you who is ajebutter, how many Nigerian food do you even know?"

"You know we have like 40 Nigerian restaurants in Toronto right, also while growing up my Mother made sure we had a steady supply of African foodstuff....."

"It's not the same!" She laughed.

"I can save some for you in the fridge for tomorrow" He looked at her seriously.

"No its better when it's fresh off the charcoal like this, OMG" Her eyes widened as she drew closer.

"Then just eat now! It'll be a one-time violation, common"

She pouted "No, I gained 0.4kg last week"

He looked at her in disbelief "I swear and you're perfect, I love your thick thighs and your....."

"Stop" She glared at him.

"Okay why not eat tonight then run with me tomorrow morning to burn it off"

"Tah! I have work tomorrow" She hates working out.

"Ok we can burn it tonight then" He winked at her and licked his lips.