Chapter 15: Trust vs Distrust

You were determined to make it out of this trial alive along with everyone else who isn't the culprit. You took one last look at everyone knowing you would be saying goodbye to one of them. Pushing those thoughts out of your head you were now focused on this trial. Monokuma gave a basic explanation the trial officially began.
"So it's starting huh?" Kaede asked.
"Ah haha oh man I haven't been in a trial in like forever." Kokichi snickered.
"Oh so you have experiences with trials...?" Tsumugi asked.
"Yeah since I'm a leader of evil and stuff. I've done a loooot of bad things." Kokichi announced.
"Enough of Kokichi's lies our lives are at stake so we should begin discussing the topic at hand." You stated bringing everyone back on topic.

"So what are we supposed to do? Where do we even start?" Kaito asked.
"Gonta never done trial before not sure where to begin." Gonta muttered.
"Each of us will be serving as a potential culprit, lawyer, prosecuted, and jury member. Let us proceed with that in mind shall we?" Kirumi asked.
"Then might I offer the first topic?" Korekiyo inquired.
"Don't get ahead of us?! Ya trying to start something?!" Miu yelled.
"I think he's trying to help us live." You sighed.
"I'll begin the conversation then there's something I found curious why I wonder didn't the culprit take advantage of the First Blood Perk?" Korekiyo asked.
"I thought that was strange too!" Tsumugi exclaimed.
"I bet they just wanted to do a class trial real bad." Ryoma suggested.
"It's hard to know the culprit's motive especially since we don't know who the culprit is." You stated.

"Monokuma's the culprit! Duh doy! Cuz this whole class trial was his idea!" Miu yelled with a smile. "I'm a genius!"
"Wait is it even possible for Monokuma to be the culprit?" Kaito asked.
"In the rules I believe it states that Monokuma wouldn't kill someone so you aren't a genius." You pointed out with a mischievous smile.
"Ding ding ding Y/N's right on both statements!" Monokuma laughed.
"However it doesn't say the mastermind wouldn't do something directly so it's possible the mastermind controlling Monokuma killed Rantaro but we have absolutely no evidence that points to the mastermind and mind you now there's sixteen of us so we have a very slim chance of finding out the mastermind and that's assuming that the mastermind did in fact kill Rantaro when it could have just been someone who got desperate." You explained to the group and they all looked at you shocked that you pieced that together besides Kaito who was grinning.
"Wow Y/N you sure we shouldn't switch Ultimates?" Shuichi joked.
"She's just unbelievably smart and talented!" Kaito complimented staring in awe at you.
"She does bring up some good points." Kaede muttered thinking about everything.
"Y/N does offer up valid points so let's uncover the culprit." Korekiyo stated raising his finger.
"Then...we could start by determining the sequence of events." Shuichi meekly said.
"Yeah let's look at the circumstances of Rantaro's death." You agreed.

Everyone started to debate as to whether Rantaro was actually the mastermind of the game because he knew about the hidden door. But Rantaro being the mastermind didn't make sense.
"Wait a minute I don't think Rantaro was the mastermind!" Kaede exclaimed.
"I agree because Rantaro didn't have the card key to open the hidden door he just had his room key and the Monopad." You explained.
"Perhaps the culprit took the card key after killing Rantaro?" K1-B0 suggested.
"But none of the pictures show Rantaro holding the card key." Shuichi pointed out. "So I don't really think he had the key at all."
"Also I'd the mastermind had died there this killing game would've already ended." Maki added.
"You are correct the possibility of him being the mastermind is quite low." Kirumi said thinking it through.
"Then how Rantaro know about hidden door...?" Gonta asked.
"Maybe he stumbled across it in the library? Y'know like how Shuichi did?" Kokichi suggested.
"Or maybe the mastermind told him about it." Ryoma said.
"Whaaaat? Why would the mastermind tell him that?" Angie questioned.
"To lure Rantaro to the library and kill him." Ryoma answered with a dark grin.
"Does that mean the culprit and the mastermind are one in the same?!" K1-B0 asked.
"As I said earlier the possibility is there but there's sixteen of us with no evidence as to who the mastermind is so it would be really lucky if we got the mastermind right to begin with." You replied.
"It's very likely the mastermind knew about Kaede and Shuichi's trap." Korekiyo said. "This case may have become the perfect crime thanks to your hidden cameras. The mastermind knew about your trap and exploited it to commit their crime."
"So after the mastermind lured Rantaro and murdered him they used Kaeidiot and Pooichi's hidden cameras to arrange the perfect crime!" Miu explained.
"Did they really take advantage of their trap like that?" You asked.
"Is this really the perfect crime? Are we in an unsolvable mystery?" Tsumugi.
"Nothing is unsolvable we just have to get creative and look at all the evidence." You reassured.