1 - The Road not taken

Some stories are beyond, beyond for us to comprehend, beyond for us to know. Somewhere they are etched onto the rustic manuscript, ladled with ink. Meanwhile, some are etched onto the emotional heart. The ink immersed in the shade of colours has touched that part which was always to be brandished, where you couldn't get away from it.
____________________________

1930

The golden hues of the sun were peppered with the chirping of birds. Pertinaciously trees held each other's hand in hand as their dance was the embroil of calm zephyr. The incense of dawn was blazing new spurs inside the souls.

While running, he glanced down at the little plant at Sanctuary. The gardener has nurtured it so beautifully. But now it is going through the stage of metamorphosis. A stage where the plant has to develop itself to finally become capable to pour its essence into nature. He smiled and sat on the Garden bench.

Sliding her hands on the prairie grass-like hair of the one that was in her grip. She slowly tiptoed, pacing towards the figure with her small feet reverberating the synchronized tune of her anklets. Elfin's smirk beamed through her face as she covered the distance up to him.

The four puppy eyes scanned the human-figured man whose back was facing them. The Garden was big. Many Britishers were roaming here, spending time. She looked down at him, wanting to be quiet.

The man sitting in the chair was waiting for his unique one. He let his head fall against his hand on his thighs and closed his eyes with tension. "Bondita!" Anirudh grumbled.

This is the second and last day of him in London. Tomorrow early he is going to evacuate. He wants to spend every minute with her. And here Madame is interested in playing hide and seek for the third time in this Park.

Bondita tapped his shoulder from behind. Anirudh opened his eyes before, his head turned hot out of anxiety. "How many times do I have to tell you to not go anywhere without telling me? Why don't you listen to me? I was worried" he pertained a little loudly as he recognized her touch.

Again a pat on his back caused him to roll his eyes with a gasp.

"Bondita" He turned his face as his eyes widened. Before he could jump out of his seat. A puppy jumped on his lap from hers. She gave a confused look as the puppy licked his jawline hungrily.

She was carrying that in her hand, Puppy didn't even dare to move, except only stared at her. Now he suddenly jumped on her Sakha babu!

Anirudh winced.
She constantly blinked.
Anirudh immediately stood up from his place as the puppy jerked up from there, running.

Downing her face she walked in front of him. The puppy licked her Sakha babu's cleaned shave was making her laugh. Her Sakha babu is so beautiful maybe that's why. She suppressed her mouth. Her gazes slowly wandered up to see him. He eyed her putting hands on his hips. He frowned. So many people concentrated their attention on them but again went engaged in their own.
Looking at his expressions, she cracked into laughter, placing her hands on her stomach. "I didn't know that animals like you this much" She sniffed trying to control her laugh.

Listening to her laughter, his furrow vanished. A small upward curve attained his lips. The protruding teeth on her mouth shone with the hazy golden glow of the sun.

Pouting, he sat back in his seat, watching her. With a slight smile as his gaze softened.

Glancing at his intact melted gaze, she halted. Bondita gulped before stepping towards him. Bondita yanked the dap of her saree reaching to clean the wet area of his cheeks.

He stared at her doing this without impeding. With an argument in mind. How he is going to live without this child of his? How he is going to live without listening to her laughter? Without her mischiefs? Without her care? These pierced his heart.

He cared for her, he knew that-- beyond every limit, she was his Bondita, and Anirudh did not doubt that. He treasured her with his all heart like his most precious power. They shared something beyond any jovial construct, timelessly. The night surrounded by fire moulded their souls into one. They both knew this deeply, even before they had come to London.

But he is going to leave her tomorrow. Abandoning her alone in this region. A lump crashed in his throat.

As she finished cleansing, she took a step back. Bondita held her ears, apologising. Not wanting him to be upset with her.

He grabbed her arms, downing them as he gently knock her head "Silly Girl".

"My silly girl" he caressed her head.

"Sakha babu!" she cooed "Are you angry?" softly.

"Why will I? I was worried. I think we should go now" He stood. Changing the topic he said "Let's go... I have to get your workbooks. Your classes will start shortly. I need to make sure of things".

Bondita stood near him. As he started walking, her hand automatically gripped his arm. Just like a small child holding his mother's hand while going somewhere. No matter what.

Ambling, he secretly glanced at her. He looked at their joined hands. Her small hands in his big palm were evidence of how much she trusted him. How much she was dependent on him. How he became dependent on her.

Her dependence on him is not a burden on him neither he does want to go away from her. He is pleased to do all this for her. But for the upliftment of one's self, one needs to be independent. He wants her to be self-sufficient. And he wants to set up things right and within limits.

Anirudh looked at the women here. They all are educated. Have the right to take decisions on their own. Can choose the people with who they want. They are empowered. They are capable to live life on their own. They don't need anyone's help.

                 A day will come in the life of India too. When girls will take pride in their gender rather than cursing their existence. All would be allowed to study. There would be proper equality between boys and girls. All would be allowed to fiddle. All girls would be able to work professionally even after marriage. They will get the right to choose their life partners. They will be free.

From his side, the first for him will be Bondita. He again watched their laced hands while walking with her.
This might would be the last day they would be holding hands like this.
The future is unscathed from all. Might the blurts that have escaped from their mouth, not be destiny? After years things will change fully. Maybe someone else will be there in her life. Someone who will love her the way she deserves.

Bondita peeked up at him, swallowing the sob within her throat. She will be strong. She will become just like her Sakhababu wants.

His paths are his. Her paths are hers. The last statement that will only linger...
The Road not taken.

🥀

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveller, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.
🥀

Hey there!
Do vote & tell me how this chapter was. Thanks for the positive responses.