Chapter Five

Not one person could accuse Papa of banishing me. I made certain that many of my belongings were brought back from the ships and moved to carts. When I arrived, it would be as a favored princess and not a repenting rebel.

I wished Joan could accompany me. But it was a blessing her husband had even permitted her to be a part of my aborted wedding party. And even I wasn't so thoughtless to invite her to visit the woman who murdered her father. When she found out about my Christmas plans, she smiled, but shadows entered her beautiful eyes.

"It's all right," I said, raising my voice to be heard over the bustle of travel preparations in the courtyard. "I'll miss you, but I know you'd rather go on a pilgrimage in the dead of winter than break bread with my grand-mère after what she did to your family."

Joan gave a tight smile as she did when a topic upset her. "That was a long time ago, my lady. I don't think of it."

Of course, I didn't believe her. Her father had been a great man and because of my grand-mère, she was never able to know him. Not that anyone told me these things. I only learned the horrific story from whispers and coaxing information from Edward. Everyone else acted like it never happened, even Joan. I struggled to understand why she wanted to be my friend when my family had almost destroyed hers.

I took her hand. "You don't have to hide things from me. If you're angry I'm going there, you can tell me."

My friend kept too much to herself.

"Leave Jeanette alone." Edward approached us and bowed his head to her as if she a queen. "Haven't you any diplomacy, Bella?"

I gritted my teeth. At least I wasn't making a fool out of myself over someone I could never have. It seemed stupid that everyone kept so much to themselves. I kept my misgivings about my marriage to myself and it had caused too much trouble.

"Oh wait, I forgot that you showed us all your diplomatic flair right before you were to sail to Gascony," Edward said in a dry tone. "One day you will be made the patron saint of diplomats."

I narrowed my eyes. "You'll be made the patron saint of annoying brothers."

But when I turned back to Joan, I saw the relief in her. She shot a look of gratitude to my brother. If she would rather hide her pain, I wouldn't keep the siege going. I didn't think secrets helped, but no one would ever listen to me.

"I thought you were too busy to see me off," I said to Edward, who once again was in his own private world with Joan.

"I'm never too busy for you, Bella," he said without bothering to look at me.

I rolled my eyes and turned to bid farewell to my brothers. This time my other brother Lionel was there, having been a bit too ill to see my scandalous rebellion. John tagged behind him, giving me a shy wave. Once again, I paid no mind to his royal dignity and hugged him. Before I could do the same to Lionel, he jumped back.

"I've been sick, Bella!" he exclaimed. "You don't want to travel while feeling ill."

There was a time when I would risk it. But since the pestilence, even I had learned a bit of caution.

Lionel gave me an impish smile. "Anyway you'll get your chance to hug me again. It doesn't sound like we'll ever be getting rid of you. God's Bones, I can't believe I missed it. Promise me that you won't do something like that again if I'm sick. I want to see it."

I stuck my tongue out. "You're getting too much like the Prince of Wales, Leo."

Though my brothers were impossible, happiness warmed me. At least they would say goodbye to me. Mama and Papa weren't even there. I understood that my father couldn't look too forgiving, but it hurt that my mother wasn't there. Even Joan was there.