Epilogue

I spent most of my life as a scandalous princess. One that should be forgotten. Now I waited to receive one of the greatest honors. Eleven years ago, I believed my wedding would be the most important day of my life. It was at the time. But nothing could ever compare to this day. Despite his struggles with his health, my father decided I should be a Lady of the Garter. It was difficult enough for a man to join the Order of the Garter. The only woman had been my mother and after her death, it seemed like there would never be another lady.

Until today.

"You look so beautiful, sister Bella," my newest sister-in-law, Isabella of Castile, said with a squeal. "Doesn't she, Constance?"

Isabella's sister and John's second wife gave a thin smile as if she wished she were anywhere else. I had told John when he married her that it was a mistake and, as usual, I was never wrong. He had loved Blanche so much. When she died, it had almost destroyed John. He fought through his grief and married the true heir of Castile, hoping to win her crown back. I was sure he also hoped to have a marriage like he did with Blanche. I told him that it would only be a political marriage for Constance, but John never listened. He regretted his marriage, even if he would never acknowledge the truth.

Isabella gave a pout. My brother Edmund's wife was at least more merry than her sister, if a terrible match for her dour husband. "What do you think, Lady Swynford?"

A hush went over the room. Gazes darted from Constance to Katherine. John's daughters, Phillipa and Elizabeth, grew tense. I gritted my teeth, wondering if I should intervene. The last thing I needed was a bloody fight in my apartments before I became a Lady of the Garter.

Katherine raised her head. No longer a timid young maiden, she held herself with the dignity of a princess. "Her Grace looks as beautiful as she did on her wedding day."

I smoothed my Garter robes and clucked my tongue. "You either have a poor memory or I've looked a fright for over ten years."

Katherine handed me my rosewater before I could even ask. "You are beautiful and an example to us all. You have shown us that women are worthy of respect."

I accepted the rosewater and gave her a reluctant smile. Our friendship had grown strained in the past few years. I couldn't understand how someone as virtuous as Katherine could live with being John's mistress. I understood that John wasn't happy with Constance and was searching for the love he once experienced. But it was still wrong. Katherine wasn't Alice Perrers. It was one thing if it had been a mistake. I supposed John would appear charming to a lonely widow. Except their relationship had lasted for years. They had two sons now. I didn't understand how she could risk her reputation for a man.

"I hope I won't be the only lady who joins," I said, wanting to get the attention away from Katherine. "Princess Joan should have been included."

Joan gave a weary laugh. "This is something your father wants to do for you. In the end, I am probably still more scandalous than you."

I rolled my eyes. "Your time will come. Edward always..."

The words died on my lips. My once fearless and fierce brother had destroyed his health in Gascony. Everyone danced around the fact that he would be gone soon. Joan would never be the Queen of England. We would both only ever be princesses and countesses.

Joan forced a smile, as if she wasn't losing the man she loved. "My Richard is already promising me that one day I will be a Lady of the Garter."

I handed the rosewater back to Katherine and turned to Joan. "You have raised a good son."

"You have!" Isabella gave a vigorous nod. "Not only young Prince Richard. Lord John is a true Lancelot."

I coughed. John Holland struggled too much with his temper to be a Lancelot. Not that I would point it out in front of his mother. But from the look of Joan's pursed lips, she might have the same estimation of her rogue son.