Chapter Twenty-Eight

The day I had been running from my entire life had finally arrived.

My wedding day.

I stood in my chamber, more nervous than I would have liked. Gold and white skirts followed my every step. A fortune of jewels blanketed every part of my body, shimmering in the sunlight drifting into my chamber. This was the closest I had ever gotten to a wedding.

The warmth of the day and the crowd of women in my chamber made it unbearable. I moved as far away as possible as a suffocating sensation gripped me. I tried to keep an empty expression as the women watched me like wolves surrounding wounded prey. They were here for a scandal, a story they could spread to everyone. There was an eager expectation that I would run.

I almost expected me to run.

Away from the others, Katherine stared at me without sanctimoniousness. Now married to Sir Hugh Swynford, she was different from the bubbly damsel who used to shadow me. Dressed in an azure surcoat that I knew had once been Blanche's, her fashionable look didn't change how she was treated by everyone. She remained on the edge as an outsider, a foreign servant who was not worthy of being included. If I wasn't so lost in my own trepidation, I would have made it clear that she deserved respect. Her husband was an honored soldier, and she was a beloved servant of the Duchess of Lancaster.

As I attempted to fan away the heat, Katherine frowned. She went over to Blanche and then whispered something. Blanche's forehead creased, and she looked at me. Almost at once, she ushered the other women out, her authoritative tone silencing any dissent. When the room was empty of everyone except her and Katherine, Blanche walked over to me.

I raised an eyebrow. "They're all going to be sour with you."

"Let them grouse." Blanche grinned. "You look beautiful."

"Anyone would look beautiful in all these jewels." I gave a rueful look at all the rubies. Papa wanted to make a statement with the wedding of his last daughter. He wanted to show everybody the splendor of England. Not that I argued against the gift. "We must fool everyone into thinking I'm a young maiden."

Blanche shook her head. "You are more beautiful than you believe."

I appreciated the compliment, even if I didn't agree. It lifted my heart that she was there. I wished Joan was here for the day, but she was close to giving birth to her first child with Edward. Once I departed for France with Enguerrand, I would have more of a chance to visit her in Aquitaine. Blanche was a good friend and came for the day, even if she had only recently been churched. She and my brother loved each other too much, considering Blanche had a child almost every year. I was a little grateful that I could enjoy my youth without having to worry about the dangers of childbirth. Ten years younger than me, Blanche's experiences had aged her. She was still lovely, but it was still a little disquieting to see what being a good wife had done to her.

"I'm sorry to take you away from your children," I said, knowing how much she cared about her family.

"I wouldn't miss your wedding." A shadow darkened her beautiful eyes. "John thinks I worry about the children too much. He thinks I need some merry time."

Last year, they had lost their son, baby John. It was common to lose children, but it didn't alter the pain. I prayed she would never experience anything like that again.

Never one to hold back affection, I hugged her. "You must have some merriness."

"Not as much fun as you will tonight." Blanche gave a wicked grin, drawing a surprised laugh from me. "Perhaps you will soon give the king another grandson."

Despite my worries, anticipation jumped in me. I had long ago abandoned the idea of having a child. When I reached thirty, it seemed even more hopeless. But Joan was about to give birth to a future King of England and she was older than me. I wanted a child.

The Fearless Princess (Forgotten Royals)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें