Chapter Ten

Lips pressed against mine, and hands caressed my skin. With each touch, I wanted more. I pulled him closer as he kissed my neck, gentle and intense at the same time.

"Lady Isabella!"

I jolted, still half in my dream. One of my ladies was shaking me and I resisted the urge to demand she leave me alone.

I rubbed my eyes. "What do you want?"

She gave me an apologetic smile. "Your brother wants an audience."

Though she didn't specify which brother, only one of them would have the nerve to disturb me this early.

I pressed my pillow over my head. "Tell him to go away and come back at a proper hour."

"But..."

Most maidens couldn't deny my brother anything. But the last thing I wanted was to see any of my family after that dream. If I had my way, I would return to sleep.

Not that it was possible now that I was awake. My damsel was far too loud and apologetic as she sent Edward away. With a groan, I sat up and resigned myself to another colorless day. Since Christmas, I hadn't spent much time with a certain young man from France, but he still managed to work his way into my dreams. It would be so easy to seek him out, but that would tangle up the tapestry of my life. The best course would be to encourage the attention of Sir Bernard Brocas. If anything happened between us, he would keep it quiet. It was safer.

I didn't want to be safe.

I put him from my mind and went along with my day. Edward's visit slipped my mind, but my brother wouldn't have as many victories if he surrendered easily. He was also crafty. Right when I was expecting from Mama, someone else arrived.

"Our lady mother sent me to tell you that she is feeling unwell, but will see you tomorrow," Edward said.

I folded my arms. "And the Prince of Wales now works as a page?"

It should relieve me that I wouldn't have a frustrating conversation with my mother today. She would have lectured me on money or my behavior and I would have struggled with my temper. But even that would have been preferable to trying to keep my brother from starting a war in our family.

"I wanted to see you," Edward said, as if I didn't know the true reason he was there.

"Go away."

"Bella, would you really send your favorite brother away?" Edward asked.

I peered behind him. "Is Lionel with you?"

He rolled his eyes. "With your wit, Papa should make you the fool of the court."

"I'm already funnier." I stepped aside because it would cause talk if I kept the Prince of Wales out of my apartments. "Do I have to ask what you're doing here?"

"Visiting my sister," he said.

I shoved him. "Leave Joan alone. I'm supporting her through her grief. She doesn't need someone trying to seduce her."

"I'm not going to seduce her." Over the years, his face had become unforgiving and joyless, but now he lit up like a young man. "I want to marry her."

I stared at him. "Are you mad?"

"What's mad about that?" he asked.

"And I'm supposed to be the foolish one!" I gave a short laugh. "You are the heir to the throne. Most have been waiting for you to marry a princess. If not a princess, an heiress like our brothers John and Lionel."

"Jeanette is an heiress," Edward said. "She is the Countess of Kent."

"And she has sons who are the heirs!" As I picked up a silver bracelet from my table, another thought occurred to me. "Also, can she even get married?"