Chapter Twenty-Two

Spring finally brought the celebration of Edward and Joan's marriage. Tournaments were arranged were arranged in their honor and everyone was enthusiastic about the festivities. Loud boasts filled the air as men acted like this was the most important fight anyone faced. Ladies giggled, debating who would get their favor. A joyful energy went through the air, a glee that not even the gravest of priests could repress. Nothing could dampen spirits after a long Lent.

Except I was still trapped in the fog that surrounded me since my sisters died.

There was little merriness in my heart, but I wasn't going to gripe about it like a graybeard. I appreciated that it brought a reunion with Joan and Blanche. They were often occupied with their husbands and responsibilities. Joan was still preparing for when she and Edward were finally sent to Aquitaine. I dreaded the day because I had grown used to having her in my life. Blanche had to spend a lot of time running the estates John had inherited from her father. Not to mention she had just had her second child, a baby who had come too early. Named after my brother, Blanche took her role seriously as part of the royal family and arrived for the revelry right after her churching. I didn't understand how she could leave her baby, but I had a peculiar way of seeing things. It made me happy that I never had to make that choice.

"I am eager to meet your Lancaster heir," Joan said as the three of us walked in the garden. "The king's first grandson."

I gave a mischievous smile and pointed at one loud blond young man with a group in the distance. "Legitimate."

Joan gave an affectionate sigh. She had accepted my brother's bastard son as Edward had become a father to her children. "You'll never learn to be discreet, I suppose?"

I rolled my eyes. "Where's the fun in that?" I turned to my other sister-in-law, who was fighting a smile. "But you do have the first royal grandson."

Blanche giggled. "It is a great honor. Although I have to keep reminding John that his brother Lionel's daughter comes before our boy in the succession. And of course, the Prince and Princess of Wales should have children soon."

I clucked my tongue. "I suppose John isn't happy about our niece Philippa coming first."

Lionel's daughter would be seven this year and I hadn't seen much of her. But if she was anything like her father, she would be merry and honorable. For the first time, it hit me she was the heir to the throne until Lionel or Edward had a son. I doubted Philippa would ever be queen, but I almost wished it would happen.

Blanche gave a little sigh. "He wasn't even that happy about Lady Philippa coming before our Philippa. But I remind him to be thankful that we have what we have. Our son will have a splendid future."

I exchanged a look with Joan, who kept her peace. Our family was so close, I never thought we would have any trouble when it came to the throne. It bothered me that John was already thinking his infant deserved it more than our niece.

But Blanche had a hard year with losing her parents and the difficult delivery of her son. I wasn't going to upset it further. "Faith, it makes it confusing that John and Lionel both named their daughter Phillipa. You must not do the same, Joan."

Joan shook her head. "Of course I would honor your mother, Isabella."

"You honor her enough." I huffed. "You won't believe this, Blanche. Joan spent a fortune repairing that velvet corset Mama gave her for Christmas. She might as well have had a new one made."

Joan picked up her skirts to avoid a muddy spot on the ground. "I want to show how much it means that your mother has accepted our marriage."

Blanche gave a firm nod. "It's the right thing to do."