Chapter Twenty-Nine

With determination, I pushed dreary thoughts from my mind. I marched forward, refusing to allow fear to force me to retreat. Once I stepped into the chapel, all of my fears began tormenting me, like demons in the pictures of hell. Insidious doubts that I was making a grave error.

Then I saw Enguerrand.

Dressed in white and gold, surrounded by the gilt of the chapel, he had an ethereal appearance. Almost in a daze, I made my way to him. He kept his gaze on me, as if he couldn’t believe I was there. A smile played on his lips, the sort of look he gave me after a night together. It was too intimate for the audience of family and nobles.

Eyes burned on me during the ceremony. Anticipation filled the air that even now, while we exchanged vows, I might run from the chapel. I didn’t care. Let them gossip for the rest of the year about why I finally agreed to get married. All that mattered to me was him. The only man in the world I loved enough to marry.

When Enguerrand leaned over to kiss me, it felt different. It was no longer forbidden. I had feared our secret relationship had added spice to the dish and flavor, would be missing now. But it tasted just as good and I responded with a bit too much passion for the circumstances. The intensity sent a wonderful shiver through me and we parted too soon. He kept a solemn expression, fitting for a man who married the only princess of England, but his eyes sparkled. Without words, I knew he wanted to get to bed as fast as I did.

First, we were expected to attend a feast. This time I was the true queen of the feast, covered in priceless gems with knights praising my charms. In the past, I would have reveled in it. Now I didn’t care. All that mattered was sitting beside Enguerrand, stroking his hand under the table. The thrill of having him kiss me without fear that it would bring the shadow of suspicion to us.

I picked up my wine and my gaze fell on Katherine’s direction. She kept up the perfect mask that she learned from her life at court, but I knew her too well. There was a lack of happiness to the young woman. Her knightly husband ate his food and laughed with his companions, ignoring his beautiful wife. I could have been in Katherine’s position when I was her age. If my first betrothed hadn’t run, I could have been an unwanted wife. Instead, I had a man who looked at me with passion. Katherine deserved better.

“Do me a favor, love?” I whispered into Enguerrand’s ear. “After we dance, partner with Lady Katherine. I think she could benefit from a skilled dancer.”

Enguerrand nodded. “Sir Hugh would probably stomp all over her feet. He dances like he fights. Brutal and with no regard for others.”

I winced. Katherine might be married to a man with land, but I doubted she was content with her life. If only there was some way to make Sir Hugh realize what a treasure he had for a wife. I shot a look at Sir Hugh’s lord, my brother John. My French husband might not make Sir Hugh pay attention, but he couldn’t ignore a prince of England. If John could be persuaded to look away from Blanche for one dance.

When the music began, I danced with Enguerrand. I had spent years perfecting my dancing, but he made me look like an awkward beginner. Of course, I was probably floundering because every touch made me long to be in bed with him. He whirled me around and I let out a laugh of pure delight. With his hands clutching me, I almost forgot all my fears about marriage. I couldn’t even understand why I had fought it for so long.

My next dance was with Lionel, who had returned from Ireland. Every unattached maiden studied my brother with open desire. He hadn’t remarried since his wife had died three years ago.

“You’re taking attention away from my day,” I teased.

Lionel chuckled, very aware of the focus on him. “I suppose there will be a lot of talk if I dance with one of them.”