Author's Note II

Hi! I was very excited to tell this story of a royal woman who wins. So many, like the protagonist of The Forgotten Princess, have tragic lives. I've even seen suggestions that Isabella had a tragic life. But I very much doubt that her husband left her, and she moped about it until she died. Isabella had many chances in her life to leave England. I think her home was her first love. But she must have loved Enguerrand de Coucy since she tried leaving England for her. The marriage might not have been a fairy tale happy ending, but I think they both lived their best lives. He was free because of her, and she was free to live the life she wanted. I also wanted to include some historical facts in this note about what happened with everyone.

Isabella became a Lady of the Garter in 1376. After her father died the next year, her husband cut his links to England. She kept the title and her resources and continued living as an independent princess. Her eldest daughter, Marie, lived in France, marrying a nephew of Charles V. Her daughter Philippa stayed in England with her mother. Isabella died in 1382 in her beloved home. Enguerrand de Coucy waited seven years to remarry.

Isabella's brother Edward died in 1376. Richard of Bordeaux, his son with Joan, became king after Edward III died. Joan had a well-respected position as mother of the king.

John and Katherine's relationship made it through scandal and separation. After his second wife died, he married Katherine and she joined the royal family.

For those who read The Forgotten Princess, the Isabella in the epilogue was the mother of Richard of York. Anne de Mortimer's grandparents made an appearance during Isabella's wedding. Lionel was her great-grandfather.

Thank you for reading!