Prologue

PROLOGUE: The Reaping

*******

"THE FEMALE tribute from District Four will be.... Emmeline Whitlock."

No tears are shed. District's four's escort, Valentina Mackenden, a colorful woman with an outrageous sense of style, was also noticeably less cheerful this reaping.

The old woman named Mags standing next to me raises her hand in an attempt to volunteer for my place, but I stop her.

"No," I shake my head as I pull her hand down. I couldn't live with myself letting someone that worn out having to fight for what's rest of her life.

I step forward as Valentina's heels click over to the boy's bowl.

"And now for the boys," she says, reaching her hand in to grab the only slip of paper in there. She makes her way back to the microphone. "Finnick Odair."

The only male victor of District Four makes his way to the front of the stage. His cocky demeanor is immediately shown with a smile and wave to the cameras pointing at us.

"May I present to you the two tributes from District Four competing in this year's Quarter Quell!" Valentina's Capitol accent is forced into a lifeless cheer. Finnick Odair and I don't shake hands. We glance at each other uncomfortably. Nobody claps for us.

Before we know it, peacekeepers are restraining and dragging us away onto the train of Hell to compete in the arena once again.

I am chum for the sharks.