NINETEEN

《'°•~Chapter Nineteen~•°'》

I LEAVE FINNICK to sit alone, partly because I can't be near anyone and also because I've started to hate him again. It's not his fault, but I still blame him. August didn't have to die, and Finnick could've prevented it. I hate him for that, but I hate myself even more.

Every family member I've ever had is dead. First, my mother, whom I can't even remember how old I was when she died; I just know that I was young and she had been sick for a long time. I don't even remember her name anymore. After the Capitol, I don't remember a lot of things. After Finnick told me, I do know that I was seventeen when my father died. His name was Maynard.

And August, who was taken away when I was eighteen, but turned out to be alive, but then ended up dying for real. It's hurts more now than it hurt for my mother and my father, mostly because now I'm alone, and if I don't die in this God damned war, then I'll be alone forever.

My daze is quickly disrupted as I hear explosions in the distance. I don't lift my head up, but I listen to the others murmur without actually trying to care what they're saying. I'd be happy if a bomb was dropped on us right now.

A few minutes later, Katniss approaches me and sits on the floor next to me. I can tell she's scared of me, like if she says the wrong thing, I'll explode. Or kill her. But I'm not. "I'm really sorry."

I look at her and bite my lip to hold in any tears that might come out. "It's not your fault, Katniss."

"It's not yours either," she whispers. I only look at her because I know that she's saying that to make me feel better. It is my fault, and it's her fault, and it's Finnick's fault. I don't say that to her, but I repeat it continuously in my head. I'm surprised when she leans close to me and hugs me, but I'm even more surprised that I hug her back. She says quietly into my ear, "You never deserved any of it. I promise I'll make it right."

I'm not sure if she believes that last part, and I'm not sure I do either.

***

"Sun's coming up," Gale says. "There's some small arms fire. Could be Paylor, maybe Lyme. The rebels are close."

"This is it," Cressida says as Katniss sets down her arrow. The television turns on in the corner, which displays an alarm and the words MANDATORY VIEWING.

It's president Snow. "To all Capitol citizens more than a half mile outside the City Circle, I am announcing an emergency evacuation. Come to the mansion," he says. My stomach flips as I think of the Palace. "I am providing you shelter and sanctuary. All refugees come to home, and you will be provided with food, medicine, safety for your children, and my oath to protect you until my final breath."

"He should hurry up with that last part."

He continues. "Our enemy is not like us. They do not share our values. They have never known our comfort or our sophistication." Right. "And they despise us for it. They are not coming to liberate us. They are coming to destroy our way of life. They are coming to bury us."

"Is he still in the mansion?" Katniss asks.

"Yeah," Peeta answers. "I recognize the room."

Katniss opens the map frantically and scans her eyes over it. "We're right here, off the avenues." Cressida points. "The mansions right here."

"What about the pods?"

"They'll probably deactivate the pods for the residents' safety."

"That could work, I could get close enough," Katniss says.

"Every Peacekeeper is gonna be waiting next to the wanted signs with our faces on them," Finnick speaks for the first time since we've been down here.

"Snow's offering shelter to all the refugees."

We all grab our belongings and scramble up the basement stairs. Now, the woman has a large mane on her head and is wearing a tiger printed robe. "Go through the city square; there's going to be thousands of refugees. Get in the stream and don't look up."

"We got one shot," Katniss says as Tigris wraps a jacket around Gale.

"Let's make it count."

Cressida hugs Katniss. "Good luck."

"Be careful," I say, hugging her as well.

"Don't die," Finnick says behind us.

Katniss smiles sadly and thanks us. "Thank you, Tigris, for everything you've done."

"Let me come with you," Peeta begs her.

"I'm not losing you again," she says  immediately.

"You'll be safer with us."

"What if peacekeepers are searching houses?" Gale says. "And if he's captured -"

"Then give me a nightlock pill, I'm not going back," Peeta says. They all glance at one another until Gale hands him a pill, and Katniss unlocks his handcuffs. Instead of attacking her like he's programmed to, he embraces her. I feel Finnick's eyes on me. In only a few moments, Katniss and Gale are gone.

We stand in silence until Finnick asks, "What do we do now?"

"We wait, I guess. Until there's news."

I turn to Tigris. "Is there any way I can call someone here?  Someone far away." I remember there being a contacting system in District 13.  Then I look at Finnick. "I need to call Eliza."

"Come over here," Tigris says, and I follow her.

"Do you want me to call me her?" Finnick offers.

"No, I need to do it." Tigris leads me to another room with a radio station and some sort of phone thing. We were never allowed telephones in District 4, so I'm not sure how to use one or if it'll even work.

"Where are you calling to?"

"District 13."

She looks at me uneasily, then proceeds to click a bunch of random buttons. We waited a few minutes, and she handed me the telephone. "I'm not sure it will work, but you can try."

I thank her, and she leaves. I hold the telephone to my ear, and after a few seconds, it clicks, and there's a quiet voice. "Is this someone calling from the mission?"

"Heavansbee?" I say, immediately recognizing the voice. "It's Emmeline Whitlock. I need to speak to Eliza."

"What? Are you captured? What's happening? We saw the recent announcement. Tell us where you guys are."

"Shut up! You know I can't tell you that on here; we don't know who's listening," I snap at him. "Get me Eliza, it's urgent."

He grumbles, and after a few minutes of silence, there's a quiet "hello" spoken through the phone.

"Eliza."

"Emmeline? What's going on?" She asks me anxiously. "They aren't telling us anything."

I take a deep breath and try to hold myself together. "There were several attacks during the mission." I swallow the lump in my throat. "And August, he.... he didn't make it."

I can hear her breathe. "He told me that might happen."

"What?"

"We knew he would die," her voice breaks, and even though she cries, her under exaggerated reaction scares me.

"Why did you let him go then?" I ask, my temper shortening.

"He would've died if it meant that his son could grow up in a world of freedom," she sniffles. "He died for Emerson."

"He would've rather died than watched his son grow up?"

"It's not that simple."

I'm about to argue with her, but then we hear the bombs.

a/n- bye I actually hate this chapter  but the story is going to be wrapped up soon- (I might do a sequel) so stay tuned!!!