TWELVE

《'°•~Chapter Twelve ~•°'》

THE ONLY NOISE I can hear is the clicking of our shoes on the tile floor. We make our way down the long bright hallway, which comes to an end at a room with nothing in it other than I cylinder shaped glass tube.

Sixty seconds to launch.

My breathing grows heavier as I begin to feel panic creep up on me.  "Shh, it's okay. You'll be okay," Finnick tells me as he puts his hand on the side of my face. "Stay away from the Cornucopia. Small tributes like you are an easy target."

I nod. "I'll see you in District 4?" I know I'm lying to myself. I wasn't winning this, and both Finnick and I knew that.

"They usually only let the stylists bring the tributes here, but I asked if I could instead," he tells me. "I wanted to see you in case this is the last time."

He takes my hand in his for a split second, but then it's time for me to step into the tube. I place my hand on the glass, and in return, he does the same.

And then I begin to levitate into the arena.

The murmurs around me make me uncomfortable, and I can't sit up from the position I'm in. My eyelids are heavy, making it impossible to see anything other than darkness. I begin to wonder if I'm dead, or at least almost dead.

"When is she going to wake up?" I hear a man's voice ask.

"She's been out for almost a week," another voice answers, a woman's this time. "Hopefully soon, but maybe never." 

"Once she awakes, send her to me."

I recognize that voice. My eyes open almost immediately out of reflex and fear. I scan the room with my eyes, my body not being able to move.

And that's when I see him. His fancy suit and his receding white hair are not hard to forget. "Sir." I now see who one of the voices belongs to: A woman, or a servant, in a red and grey uniform with her hair done up nicely. I've never seen her before, but something about her makes me feel safe despite where I am.

"Good morning, dear." Snow makes his way to the bed I'm in and gently pats my head. "I hope you're rested. You've been sleeping for a while now."

My eyes widen, and I have to use all my strength to sit up. My breathing is heavy as I struggle to find air.

"Don't be scared," the woman whispers to me. "We won't hurt you as long as you cooperate." How could I not be scared? The last time I was awake, I was in the arena, ready to die. Now, I'm in the Capitol, captured by the president when I was supposed to be safe in District 13.

And that's when I remember Finnick. Was he even alive? Did he make it to 13?

"Egeria," Snow says to the woman. "Don't let her leave the room unsupervised."

"Yes, sir," she says with a nod. President Snow leaves the room, the door swinging shut behind him.

"How did I get here?" I whisper to the woman, Egeria.

"There will be a program on tonight. Peeta Mellark is going to an interview with Caeser Flickerman," she says quietly. I assume she's not allowed to tell me anything more than that. "I suggest you watch it."

"Peeta's here? Can I see him?" My voice raises out of surprise.

"After the interview," she agrees, then leaves the room.