FOUR

《'°•~Chapter Four~•°'》               Long Lost Friends

Long Lost Friends

FLASHBACK

THE SUN PEEKING out of the blinds wakes me up before my father can. I'm surprised I even slept at all.

It's my first reaping.

My father's bed on the other end of the room is empty with the blankets scrunched to the side. He must've left early with my brother this morning to fish and do some trading in the Square, but everyone knows trading is scarce on reaping day.

I dress myself in trousers and a hand-me-down shirt of my brother's. It's mostly warm in District Four, so swimming and fishing are popular.

I lace my shoes. By the time I'm outside, Finnick is waiting for me. I hug him immediately out of fear. I don't want to cry in front of him. It's too humiliating. "You're going to be okay."

We run to the beach and take off our shoes. Everyone knows the beach is never crowded on Reaping Day, so we have it all to ourselves. We sit in the sand, our feet getting swallowed by the waves every couple of seconds. "If my name is called, you know I won't make it, right?"

"Your name is only in there once," he tells me, putting his hand on my shoulder. "You won't get called."

"What about you?" I ask him quietly. I know he had applied for tesserae rations for him and his brothers. His name had to have been in there at least fifteen times.

He lets out a breath of air. "It'll be okay, Em."

I rest my head on his shoulder as we watch the waves in silence. I don't want to go home, knowing my father is probably back by now. He would be mad at me for leaving without telling him, especially today.

Finnick and I walk home, first to my house. We stop in front of the small home, standing there in silence for a few moments before he says, "I'll see you after?"

I smile at him and nod. "You can come over for dinner. My dad and August went fishing this morning."

He smiles softly and makes his way home.

Let's just say he didn't come over for dinner that night.

PRESENT DAY

All the tributes are seated in a room, and we go in order by district to show our skill to the gamemakers.

I quietly talk with Finnick while we wait. He reminds me of what Valentina told us to do; half ass. When it comes time for Finnick to go in, he gives my hand a squeeze and smiles, entering the gym.

He's done in no more than two minutes. He smirks stupidly as he walks by. "Good luck."

An automated voice says my name, meaning it's my turn. I go inside, and all of the gamemakers are laughing and talking as they eat their lunch. All except one. Heavansbee.

"You have five minutes to present your chosen skill," he says, raising an eyebrow.

The other gamemakers don't quiet down. "Excuse me?" I raise my voice loud enough so all of them can hear me. "Do you think the rest of you could pay attention, please?"

They scoff in annoyance. How dare a tribute give us orders? They all draw their eyes to me.

I stand there for a moment, staring at them. I cough and fake a choking noise, bringing both of my hands to my neck. They all watch my silently wondering what the hell I'm doing. I continue choking, followed by a quiet wheeze and a fall to the floor. I lay there for a few seconds, pretending to be dead, before I get back up and take a bow. "Thank you."

They don't clap, or laugh, or say anything. I notice Heavansbee with a smug smile on his face as I turn around and leave.

To my surprise, Finnick awaits me outside. We walk to the elevator in silence. When we make it to our floor, as I'm about to go to my room, Finnick stops me. "Whitlock."

I turn around.

"I watched," he admits. "Your dying skills are incredible, but maybe save them for another time."

Chapter 4- 694 words

'°•~~•°'
-Olivia