SEVEN

《'°•~Chapter Seven~•°'》
The Arena

"THE SUIT IS thermal. The arena is probably something tropical, something with water."

Lilac and I walk down a long hallway, which comes to a halt at a small room with a familiar glass tube. My breathing grows heavier, and I can feel my hands getting clammy.

Lilac pulls me in for a hug, and she whispers in my ear, "Remember who the real enemy is."

I quickly pull away and look at her, my hands still on her shoulders. She nods, then surprisingly enough, she kisses me on the cheek. "Thank you, Lilac."

"Don't thank me for preparing you for death."

The glass door clothes around me, and I'm locked in. Lilac smiles for a split second, and suddenly, I'm ascending. It's like I'm reliving my first Games all over again; the loss of air in my lungs and the cold sweat trickling down the back of my neck.

It's all dark for a few moments, then the hot lights shining through the dome practically blind me. Once my vision is back to normal, I see that the pedestal I'm on is surrounded by water, along with the Cornucopia and the other twenty-three tributes pedestals as well.

I look around in a panicked manner, trying to spot out Katniss and Peeta.

Plutarch's voice comes over in the intercom. "Let the seventy-fifth annual Hunger Games begin, and may the odds be ever in your favor."

The countdown shows on the Cornucopia. Ten seconds. I prepare myself to swim, something I haven't done in a while. At the last second, I see Finnick, but there's no time for us to exchange any reassuring looks because the cannon goes off, and I'm gliding through the water.

The salty water burns my eyes and mouth. It's a relief when I finally make it to the rocks, even though they cut my fingers raw and I climb onto them. I turn around to see a large, built man charging at me, and in the blink of an eye, I'm on my feet and running as fast as I can.

Once I'm at the Cornucopia, Finnick is already there, holding a trident. "Finnick!" I shout at him, and when he turns to see me, a sense of relief falls over him.

"Em, grab that spear!" he orders me. Once it's in my hands, the man is only inches away, and before I have time to think, I plunge the spear into his chest.

Katniss comes and immediately grabs a bow and arrow, striking Gloss in the leg. She loads another arrow and turns to us. Finnick lifts his arm, showing her the gold bracelet he had shown me the night before. "Good thing were allies, right?"

"Where did you get that?" Katniss asks, not taking her aim of off us.

"Where do you think?" Finnick says arrogantly as a tribute runs up behind Katniss, weilding a knife in his right arm. "Duck."