Arc 2: Noble City Interlude: Hidden Eyes

Disclaimer: I don't own Gate or Nihon-koku Shoukan as it belongs to its rightful owners.

Arc 2: A City, A Diplomacy A Dragon

Noble City Interlude: Hidden Eyes

It was that certain message that ultimately changed the mood inside the room.

The firm, confident, and yet worried voice of a certain American ranger informed of a grave attack that rocked the capital port city.

His statement had everyone shift their focus on the matter at hand.

The first ongoing diplomatic and reconnaissance operation has hit a roadblock and could potentially be in a precarious situation.

Recently, there has been a lot of interest in current events. However, there have been some slight communication issues that have caused the updates from the envoy to be infrequent. The latest confirmed update was received on the morning of the second round of negotiations. It's worth noting that the diplomatic team followed behind a small kingdom's lead in meeting with the Qua-Toyne's representatives.

It was all going well until the next report came in.

As General Wilkes cast his eyes upon the towering piles of folders strewn across the table, an overwhelming sense of tension washed over him. Within the confines of the control room, diligent personnel were hard at work, focused on enhancing communication by mending the radios and analyzing the latest findings from a recent drone surveillance mission, which had been initiated in response to the sudden and alarming news.

"Any updates on the situation at the palace?" He inquired yet again.

"Communications are still choppy but improving." The personnel replied." Lieutenant Al had been keeping an eye on the survivors, mostly, servants and palace staff, who managed to get away from ground zero from the main building."

The American general placed his hand on the table." What about Lieutenant Brian and the rest of the diplomatic team?" He inquired again. hoping that there would be at least the slightest news about them.

The personnel took a glance, hinting stagnant news, and as she was about to shake her head in response, the radios came back to life and a familiar voice emerged.

"HQ, this is Al speaking again, Glad to bring you some news again." His voice explained." The second team has arrived safely in the guest house."

After the tense atmosphere subsided, everyone let out a sigh of relief. The person in charge acted quickly and instructed the team to connect the radio to a bigger system. He asked for a particular device, which was handed to him promptly. Without hesitation, he pressed the button and spoke with confidence and authority.

"Al, this is General Wilkes, Are Lieutenant Brian and Itami there with the group?"

"Yes sir, as well as our two diplomats."

There was a slight cheering that came from the rest of the personnel upon hearing the good news.

The General nodded." Thank you, Lieutenant, as you may know, we've been wondering for a while now regarding the situation there." He explained." Let me get straight to the point...What the hell happened?" Although his tone remained composed, there was a trace of annoyance underlying his words.