Ten

"Our families go way back. We're from the same circle, so we've known each other since we were young."

Stella arches an eyebrow. "How come he's never mentioned you before?"

"We recently... Just became friends."

"Oh."

"And how do you know Theo?"

Stella leers at him playfully. "Curious, are you?"

Jacob shifts in his seat. "You asked me first."

"True, true," Stella concedes, twirling the ring on her finger thoughtfully. "We're actually high school classmates. I moved back from the States not too long ago." She sighs, a hint of remorse in her voice. "Theo's my favorite person, my best friend. I regret not reaching out to him in the years after I left. But I'm so grateful he welcomed me back. He hasn't changed a bit."

Jacob suppresses a wince and lets out an indifferent 'Ah.'

Stella's smile falters, sensing his discomfort. "You don't seem to like me," she remarks candidly.

He doesn't deny it. Instead of feeling bothered, Stella bursts out laughing.

"What's funny?"

She stops but retains a sly smile on her lips. "Do you see me as a threat?"

"What?"

"Do you have a crush on Theo?" Stella's question hangs in the air, and Jacob feels his stomach churn with panic, his fingers instinctively finding their way into his tousled hair.

"Where did that come from?"

"Just a feeling," Stella replies casually.

"That's... That's not..."

Footsteps draw closer, and Theodore approaches, carrying their tray of food. He places it on the table and returns to his seat.

"What are you guys talking about?" he asks, passing them their meals.

Jacob flinches, shooting Stella a desperate look. She takes a spoonful of mashed potatoes.

"Nothing important," she lies and changes the topic. "Anyway, about the case of People of the Philippines versus Santiago..."

Jacob's chest loosens up and starts to eat, his body temperature increasing.

Is that it? Is what he's feeling a crush?

Hell no. He doesn't like Theodore that way. He's a rival. Ever since they were kids, people have adored him. Everyone.

Including his father.

Jacob glances at Theodore, who's rubbing his forehead while deep in thought about Stella's question regarding a legal case. Jacob's heart hammers, and he rapidly looks away when Theodore catches him staring.

"Hm? You have something to say?"

"No, I don't."

Oh, fuck.

******

Attorney Reyes, a man of around 50, sports a gaunt appearance with thinning gray hair. His first words to the class cut through the air like a blade: "Only half of you, or even less, will pass this course."

An uncomfortable shiver runs through the room, unsettling even Jacob, who typically remains unfazed by intimidation. He shoots a sidelong glance at Theodore, seated between Austin and Stella, two rows ahead of him. Theodore's lips form a firm, straight line, his eyes locked onto the professor as if the words hold no power over him.