Nineteen

"Theo, hold on," Jacob calls, increasing his speed to catch up with Theodore.

He ignores him.

"Theo!" Jacob extends his arm and firmly grasps Theodore's shoulder, forcing him to come to a stop.

Theodore shrugs Jacob's hand off but pivots to face him. The sun's rays, streaming through the giant glass window panes, transform Theodore's obsidian eyes into a warm cognac hue.

"Why did you follow me?"

"Where are you going?"

"Nowhere. I just need some air."

Jacob's mouth sets in a hard line. "You can't take off like that. Austin is also going through a tough time."

Theodore clenches his fists. "That's precisely why I'm leaving, Jacob. I can't stand the thought of seeing Austin suffer while Steve gets away with what he's doing."

"It's not easy for Austin to make that choice, Theo."

"I know that," he replies, tears shining in his eyes. "And he got his point across. I understand all of it. But I... I'm so angry. Not at Austin. But with everything that allows this to happen. Everybody should have access to lawyers—to due process—when they need it, regardless of how much it would cost. I'm so angry that he thinks the legal fees weigh more than his well-being. I'm so angry that I can't do anything for him."

Jacob's shoulders fall, startled to hear the words coming out of Theodore's lips. For someone well-off, he feels incredibly burdened by the system that favors his status.

"I didn't want to feel useless again," Theodore admits, his voice heavy with regret. "I hate this."

"Again? What do you mean?"

Theodore recoils as he realizes that he has said something that he shouldn't have.

"You don't need to answer that," Jacob adds swiftly. "Theo, you are doing what you can with whatever you have. And Austin is grateful. Don't you see it? He's made this decision for himself because this is all he can do for now. For now."

"But Steve is a terrible person. He's part of the problem. It's not fair that he's out there living his best life while Austin is here."

Jacob takes a deep breath. "'The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.'"

Theodore darts his eyes up to the ceiling. "Martin Luther King."

"We'll get there, Theo."

Theodore unclenches his jaw and lets out another sigh of frustration.

"When?"

"Someday," Jacob ruffles Theodore's hair and he lets him. "You need to have faith."

Their gazes finally meet.

"I'm such a bummer, aren't I?"

"You have a good reason to be."

"You won't even ask what it is?"

Jacob half-smiles. "It's your call to make if you trust me enough."

Theodore trusts him. More than he thought he would if he's being honest. But it is a lot of information to unpack and the hospital might not be the best place for it.

"We should probably go back," Theodore utters.

"Yes. Austin will be upset."

"I know. Sorry."

"Not to me, Theo."

Theodore grimaces. His chest feels lighter after venting out, nonetheless.

"Come on."