Twenty-Six

It was a typical Friday night, and Theodore found himself in solitude as Austin had returned home for yet another week-long holiday. He had initially contemplated driving home as well, but his plans hinged on completing the remaining memos he had on his to-do list. To cut the long story short, he couldn't make it happen; the workload was simply overwhelming.

Theodore stretched his arms and massaged his neck to relieve the tension in his body, his eyes flicking to the clock. It was 10 PM. Realizing he needed a break, he rose from his desk and headed for the kitchen to fetch a glass of water.

His phone beeped. It was a text message from Jacob.

"Can I call you?"

Theodore nearly choked on his drink and replied immediately, "Yeah."

With bated breath, he settled onto his bed, his knees trembling, and his eyes fixated on the phone screen. Within moments, they were talking over the phone.

"Um, hey."

"Hey," Jacob uttered. "Sorry. Are you busy?"

"No, I... I was thinking about calling you."

"You were?"

"Yeah..."

He cringed as the memory of Jacob calling the whole thing unfair pierced him. He was late. Again.

"Sorry you had to call me first."

"That's alright. Will you be home for the weekend?"

"I'm unsure. But I'm still in Makati. Why?"

"I'll be there tomorrow. Until Sunday."

Theodore's eyes gleamed, the corners of his lips inevitably turning up.

"Theo? You there?"

"Hm? Ah, yes. I am... Here. I'll probably be here. I have tons of things to do..."

"So you can't go out?"

"I... I should be able to spare some time. I have to relax at some point."

Jacob's tone perked up. "I'll swing by then. If that's cool."

"Yes, of course... What's the point of asking now..."

He heard Jacob chuckle across the line and Theodore's heart flutters. Summoning his courage, he added, "Actually, I'll come to you."

"To me? To my place?"

"Um, yeah. For a change. Is that okay?"

"Oh. Absolutely. Awesome. I'm planning to go swimming. How about I finally teach you?"

Jacob wet and topless? It was a temptation Theodore couldn't resist. So although he was not keen on learning how to swim at the age of 24, he made his way to Jacob's unit the next day in a tank top and flip-flops.

He nervously knocked on Jacob's front door, thousands of imaginary scenarios playing in his mind. The last time they had seen each other, he had been in a drunken stupor, and Jacob had rejected his kiss. Would Jacob keep his word and not bring it up? Was that the best way to deal with what had happened?

Jacob appeared a few seconds later in the same kind of outfit. His board shorts had pineapples in them, his top accentuating his slim waist and broad shoulders.

"Hi."

"Um, hi, Jake. It's nice to see you."

Jacob smirked. Theodore could hardly keep his hands to himself. Everything about Jacob that day seemed to ignite a fire within him.