Thirty-Five

"Cheers!"

The four clink their glasses and then chug their beer excitedly, their eyes shimmering in relief and anticipation for what is coming next. Finally, after four gruelling years of postgraduate studies, the moment of graduation has arrived.

"Thank God! I never thought this day would come!" Austin says, then gestures to the waiter for another glass of beer.

Stella chews on some skewers. "Have you guys decided on a bar review center?"

"Yes. We're already enrolled," Jacob replies.

Theodore shifts in his seat, his thoughts wandering to the silent battle he had been fighting.

His parents still paid for his car, tuition, and allowance, but for the review center, Theodore had decided to bear the burden. He was all set to review on his own. Jacob, however, insisted on covering the costs, making the case that they could not take chances when it comes to the bar exam.

They have to pass in one take, which Theodore wholeheartedly embraces. Despite understanding that the center is a minor expense for someone like Jacob, Theodore feels the shame of dependency. He has been living with him, contributing almost nothing except for groceries, and even then it's something he welcomes not without resistance. Theodore compensates by doing most of the housework.

Austin pouts. "What? Why didn't you say anything?"

"Do we have to?"

"How mean!" Stella hisses and turns to Theodore. "By the way, congrats on getting the job, Theo!"

Theodore's face brightens. "Thanks! I didn't think they'd truly offer it to me even though I haven't passed the bar."

"He made a good impression on them," Jacob mutters with a hint of pride.

"Aww, aren't you such a doting boyfriend?" Austin teases, and he earns Jacob's icy glare. "I'm kidding!"

"Will you be able to balance it with the review?" Stella asks.

Theodore looks down at the table, his fingers circling the glass rim. "I should be fine. I'm an honors student."

"Cocky."

"Just stating a fact. You're no different," Theodore retorts.

Stella flicks her hair. "True. I guess nothing has changed."

Austin and Jacob swap meaningful looks with each other.

"Must be nice not to worry about passing," Austin mumbles. "Ah! I cannot fail. I have to find work immediately."

"Me, too," Jacob says, nodding his head and taking a sip of his beer.

"You? Why?"

"We're planning to move out from my place."

Stella's eyebrows furrow. "Why? Is it too cramped?"

"No, not really. It's big enough for the two of us," Theodore replies. "But we want to stop relying on our parents."

Stella presses her lips in a thin line. "It's been a year, Theo. You still haven't made up with your Dad?"

Theodore clears his throat and then shakes his head, the weight of the past year lingering in his mind.

"Are they coming to your graduation?"

"Probably. They paid for my education. I'll just have to make sure I can make it on my own from that point onwards."

Jacob casually puts his hand on top of Theodore's. "You're not on your own."

He smiles in response.

Austin playfully hugs Stella. "I'm jealous. Why aren't you that sweet to me anymore?"