Eleven

A flicker of pride warms Theodore's chest. Jacob is being nice to him, and he's never thought that he's capable of complimenting people.

He winces for a second, ashamed for misjudging Jacob, and regretting that he never tried reaching out to him all these years. Theodore had been lonely, too. The other kids had resented him for his popularity among the adults, while Jacob faced disdain for his wealth, good looks, and condescending demeanor.

Well, he seemed and still seems condescending, for sure, but did anyone bother actually trying to get to know him?

"Oh, we're here."

They stop at the walkway in front of Jacob's building. A sudden memory flashes through Theodore's mind, causing him to blush. He can't help but cringe at the thought that Jacob had witnessed him at his worst. How embarrassing.

"Bye," Theodore says.

"Wait, Theo."

"Hm?"

Jacob rakes a hand through his hair.

"Stella... Your girlfriend..."

"What about Stella?"

"She's nice. Your girlfriend."

"Oh, yeah," Theodore replies with a smile. "She's amazing."

Jacob takes a deep breath, realizing he needs to be direct. This conversation can't go unresolved.

"So, she is your girlfriend?"

"What?"

Jacob puffs out air and gives a dismissive wave. "Never mind—"

Theodore chuckles heartily, his hand resting on his belly. "Oh, you meant, like, 'girlfriend-girlfriend'? No, not at all. I did have a bit of a crush on her back in the day, but everyone did. Nevertheless, we became the best of friends, and I wouldn't have it any other way."

Jacob's facial features relax. "Ah, I see."

Theodore adds with a playful grin, "She's just really into giving hugs, you know."

"Okay," Jacob says, tipping his head. "Uh, see you later then."

"See you."

Theodore watches Jacob's back as he enters his condominium building. Could he have been wrong about Jacob's dislike toward Stella? Maybe it's the other way around?

An uncomfortable sensation tightens in his chest, his muscles suddenly feeling tense. Theodore brushes off the uneasy feeling with a quick shake of his head.

"I should probably eat now... Got lots to read..."

******

Jacob feels light on his feet as he wanders to the lobby and climbs up to his unit. He turns the AC on and undresses to change into his cleaner clothing, whistling merrily.

He should have known better. Stella is probably poking fun at him.

Jacob lazily settles into his study desk, flipping through the pages of his codal, his mind seemingly determined to focus on the material.

"Have to study..."

For at least half an hour, he attempts to memorize the same paragraph over and over again. Yawning, he eventually succumbs to his exhaustion, burying his head between the pages, inhaling the comforting scent of fresh paper.

"What am I doing... This is too much..."

His phone suddenly rings. It's his mother, Dr. Andrea Allegre, a famous cardiothoracic surgeon.