22 Bonds in Motion

As Queen Evelyn heard Seraphina's question, she felt a slight pang of apprehension. With a forced smile, she replied, "This is Ariella...my pet."

Seraphina's gaze lingered on Ariella for a moment, her expression inscrutable. Then, with a casual shrug, she remarked, "Ah, I see. Well, it's a pleasure to meet you, Ariella."

Ariella returned the greeting politely, though she couldn't shake the feeling of unease that settled in the pit of her stomach.

Seraphina's gaze softened as she observed Ariella's nervous demeanor, her keen senses picking up on the younger woman's apprehension.

"You don't need to be scared, Ariella," Seraphina reassured Ariella, her voice gentle and soothing. "I wouldn't dream of hurting you. I'm just here to catch up with an old friend." She offered Ariella a friendly smile, hoping to ease her nerves and make her feel more at ease in her presence.

As Queen Evelyn observed Seraphina's kind demeanor towards Ariella, a sense of realization washed over her. The gentle way Seraphina interacted with Ariella, her reassuring words and comforting presence, spoke volumes. Evelyn understood that Seraphina's ability to sense emotions had likely revealed the depth of connection between her and Ariella.

Evelyn's gaze shifted to Ariella, her voice gentle as she spoke, "Ariella, would you mind returning to your room for a moment? I have something to discuss with Seraphina in private." She offered Ariella a reassuring smile, hoping to ease any apprehension the request might have caused.

"I'll come find you later on." With that, she watched as Ariella rose from her seat, offering a polite nod before quietly exiting the library.

After Ariella left, Queen Evelyn turned her gaze to Seraphina, her heart pounding with a mixture of apprehension and anticipation. With a soft exhale, she leaned forward slightly, her eyes searching Seraphina's face for any sign of recognition.

"You know, don't you?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper, the weight of her words hanging heavy in the air between them.

Seraphina's gaze held a mixture of empathy and wisdom as she met Queen Evelyn's eyes. "Yes," she affirmed, her voice carrying the weight of certainty. "The bond between you is unmistakable." She paused, allowing her words to sink in before continuing. "I sensed it the moment I arrived."

Queen Evelyn took a deep breath, her eyes clouded with emotion as she opened up to Seraphina. "She's become everything to me, Seraphina. " A soft smile graced her lips as she spoke of Ariella, her love for the human shining through in every word. "I can't imagine my life without her, can't bear the thought of being apart from her." She paused, her heart laid bare before Seraphina. "I know it's unconventional, even forbidden, but... she's stolen my heart, completely and irrevocably."

Seraphina nodded in understanding, her expression softening with empathy. "I know," she murmured, her voice filled with quiet compassion. "The mate bond is a powerful force, one that transcends time and circumstance." She reached out, her hand resting gently on Queen Evelyn's, offering silent support. "You can't choose who you love, Evelyn. And sometimes, love comes in unexpected forms." She met the queen's gaze, her eyes reflecting the depth of their shared understanding.

"When do you plan to tell her?" Seraphina asked, her gaze steady as she awaited the queen's response.

"Seraphina," Evelyn began, her voice soft yet tinged with a hint of apprehension, "I wish I had a clear answer for you, but I don't. It's complicated." She paused, her gaze drifting downward for a moment before meeting Seraphina's understanding eyes. "Ariella is human, and our world can be unforgiving to those who are different. I worry about what revealing the truth might mean for her."