25 Whispers of Affection

Queen Evelyn stood in the grand ballroom of the palace, overseeing the final preparations for the evening's royal ball. The air was alive with anticipation as servants bustled about, adorning the space with extravagant decorations fit for the occasion.

Despite the excitement in the air, a sense of nervousness gnawed at the queen's stomach. Tonight was more than just a social gathering; it was an opportunity to assert her power and authority in front of the court and visiting dignitaries. But there was also another, more personal reason for her unease.

Evelyn couldn't shake the feeling of apprehension about her growing feelings for Ariella. The kiss they had shared had ignited a spark between them that she couldn't ignore, yet she knew that openly pursuing a relationship with a human would be met with skepticism and disapproval from her subjects.

Nevertheless, the queen had made a decision. Tonight, she would ask Ariella to attend the ball as her pet, a move intended to keep her close and make it clear to everyone that she belonged to the queen. It was a risky move, but Evelyn hoped it would help quell any rumors about their relationship and allow them to continue their interactions without raising suspicion.

As she watched the preparations unfold, Evelyn couldn't help but feel a twinge of guilt at the thought of treating Ariella as nothing more than a possession. But she pushed aside her doubts, reminding herself of the importance of maintaining appearances in the cutthroat world of vampire politics. Tonight, she would do whatever it took to protect both herself and Ariella from the prying eyes of the court.

As Ariella woke up to the warm rays of sunlight streaming through her window, she stretched her limbs, feeling the pleasant tingle of awakening coursing through her body.

A light knock on the door roused Ariella from her morning reverie. She went to open it, finding Emily standing there with a warm smile, a tray of breakfast in her hands. "Good morning, Ariella," Emily greeted, her voice soft and gentle. "I hope you slept well."

Ariella returned the smile. "Good morning, Emily. Yes, I slept well, thank you." She stepped aside, gesturing for Emily to enter.

Ariella noticed a hint of stress in Emily's expression and furrowed her brows in concern. "Is everything alright, Emily?" she asked, her voice filled with genuine concern.

Emily turned to Ariella, her smile forced and her eyes betraying her true feelings. "I'm fine, Ariella," she replied, waving off Ariella's concern. "I'm just a little nervous for tonight."

Ariella furrowed her brows in confusion. "What's happening tonight?" she asked, completely unaware of the upcoming ball.

Emily looked shocked for a moment, then composed herself before answering. "The queen is hosting a royal ball tonight," she explained, her voice tinged with apprehension. "And I'm a little nervous because important and ruthless vampires will be attending and I'll be one of the humans serving them."

As Ariella processed Emily's words, her mind drifted back to yesterday when the queen revealed that she was her mate. Before she could dwell on it further, another knock interrupted her thoughts.

Ariella opened the door to find the queen herself standing there, a small smile gracing her lips. But when the queen's gaze fell on Emily, her smile disappeared, replaced by a hardened expression. With a powerful presence, she entered the room.

The queen's sharp gaze fell on Emily, and she could practically smell the fear radiating from the maid. "Your Majesty," Emily murmured, bowing respectfully before quickly retreating from the room.With a curt nod, she acknowledged Emily's greeting, her expression unreadable.

Once Emily had left, Queen Evelyn turned her attention back to Ariella, her demeanor softening slightly. "Good morning, Ariella," she greeted, her tone gentle as she stepped further into the room.