The Reaping

I wake up in Peeta's arms. I notice he's still asleep. I smile and kiss his neck to wake him up. He takes a deep breathe and stretches out. "Good morning beautiful," he says planting one on my lips. I smile and sit up. "You know you should go get ready, Peeta."

"So soon?"

"Okay, I have to get ready."

"Fine I'll see you at the square."

"See you..." And with that we kiss goodbye. I really hope he listens to me and doesn't go in. He probably won't. Even if they called his own name he'd probably say he'd volunteer just so Haymitch couldn't. I frown but continue to get ready putting on a navy blue romper and pull up my hair.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Peacekeepers walk Haymitch, Peeta, and I to the stage. I look down at my concealed stomach from Cinna's amazing work and try not to tear up. Effie awaits onstage in an orange butterfly dress. She looks at me and frowns. I can feel the tears forming in the back off my eyes.

When we stand on stage I see the two glass balls that hold the names of the victors to be reaped. In the ball for the ladies there is a single piece of paper, with my name on it. There is no way out. A single tear streams down my cheek as Effie looks at me with sad eyes, "Ladies first." She pulls out the paper and now tears are practically pooling on the ground as I hide the sound of my sobs. "Katniss Everdeen..." she says and I see a peach line down her cheek, a tear going through her makeup.

I take a step towards her as she walks to Haymitch and Peeta's ball. She rummaged through the ball stalling as she messed with the paper finally setting on one hoping it says Peeta Mellark so Haymitch will volunteer. She lets out a sad sigh once she reads the name and I already know what name is on it. "Haymitch Abnernathy."

"I volunteer as tribute-" says Peeta.

"You can't do that." responds Haymitch grabbing his wrist.

"You can't stop me," and with that peacekeepers grab mine and Peeta's arms dragging us into the justice building."Straight to the train," one whispers. "Wait, I have to say goodbye! Wait! Prim!" And the doors are shutting, my screams being muted. "Goodbye!" I finally yell and I'm quickly pushed onto the train.

We walk into the car with the TV to watch the rest of the reapings, District 12 being first since they go in reverse order. Haymitch tells us how each has one won their games, and what year. Soon we get to District 7. "Johanna Mason, victor of the 71st games. Lone girl victor." He points out.

Once the person opens the letter to say Johanna's name she stops them. "Oh I wonder who it could be? Holy FUCKBALLS! ITS ME! I WOULD HAVE NEVER FUCKING GUESSED!" She screams, "JOHANNA MASON! YOUR FUCKING FEMALE TRIBUTE DISTRICT SEVEN! SCREW EVERYONE THAT HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH THIS!" She continues screaming and peacekeepers have to drag her into their justice building to get her to be quiet but you could still hear the muffled screams when the male tribute was picked.

We get to District 4, and an older lady volunteers for a younger girl. "Annie Cresta. She went a little nutty after her games. Mags volunteers. She won her games in the 12th year. She was Finnick Odair's mentor. He's a darling of the Capitol. Won in the 51st games. He will have lots of sponsors. You'll want him as an ally."

Once it has come to a close we begin to talk. "Katniss. I think we should reveal the pregnancy during your interview. Everyone is going to try to do and say anything to get the games cancelled. You could get them to stop it. Saying your pregnant and could give birth during the games, there is a real chance they could cancel." Haymitch says. "But what if they kill her for that reason!" Peeta says, "it could give them plenty of 'drama' or whatever they want to keep the games interesting and have people watch them."

"I say we give it a shot. They won't kill me. Everyone would surely hate the Capitol and mostly Snow if they let me die. He wouldn't risk it. And if they don't cancel, there is not a chance they are letting me or the baby die."

"But Katniss-"

"Peeta, you know she's right," Haymitch backs me up.

"Fine. But if Katniss dies and I get out, the first thing I do is kill you," Peeta says straight face staring down Haymitch. "Peeta!" Effie screams. "Hey darling, don't get your panties in a twist. She'll be fine," says Haymitch to Effie.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Now make sure to stand back from behind the front of the chariot and let the crowd see your stomach. Don't smile. Don't wave. Be straight faced and look forward with your hands at your sides," says Cinna. "Show them how bad ass you are."

"Finally, something I'll be good at." I say and he laughs as he puts the finishing touches on my make up for the tribute parade. We meet Peeta, Portia, Haymitch, and Effie at the chariot. The wish us good luck and walk away. I go up to the horses and start to pet the ones mane closest to me. Finnick Odair walks up to me. "Hey what happened to the little girl dresses?" he asks munching on a sugar cube.

"I grew out of them," I say looking at his get up.

"You could say that," he says gesturing my pregnant belly.

"Nice outfit, you'll have to let me borrow it sometime."

"Want a sugarcane? You know they're really for the horses but they have their whole lives to eat sugar. But you and me, if we see something sweet... we better grab it."

"I'm okay without the sugar, thanks."

"You could have had everything you wanted from the Capitol. All the money you could ask for."

"I already have enough that I know what to do with."

"You know I found another thing much more valuable than the money, secrets. What do you say Girl on Fire? Got any secrets worth my time?"

"Everyone always seems to know my secrets before me," I say knowing the babies not a secret anymore.

"Sadly I find that's probably true," he says walking away. "What did he want?" Peeta asks me. "To know my secrets," I laugh. "Well he better get in line," Peeta says taking my hand pulling me up onto the chariot. I grab his hand and watch our fingers intertwine. His big warm hands feel like a safe haven for my small thick hands.

The chariot starts moving and we are exposed to the crowds. People line the sides playing large drums with huge beats. The echo through my head as the crowd erupts when we and Peeta break the clearing. I start hearing chants of my name being called out in the background as Caesar goes ecstatic. "OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD!" I hear him say over and over. We are about half way down the long track when we start to 'burn'.

The cheers and chants roar louder than ever before and I make sure to stare down President Snow on top of his perch in front of us. I can see him looking, obviously at my overgrown stomach. Our chariot comes to a stop and President Snow has to ask the crowd to settle down because they are chanting, "KATNISS, KATNISS, KATNISS!" on the tops of their lungs. I smile. I hope he enjoys this.