The Burning Sun

Thanks to niallthetribute for extra help developing this chapter and many more to come.

()()()()()()
Smack! I hear the sound of the whip crashing against my exposed back. I feel the vibrations throughout my body and chattering my teeth. This makes me remember another thing, Gale. My recent memories of him were not pleasant and I wish I didn't remember most of them.

The crash of another pelt on me makes me snap out of my thoughts. They only started a few moments ago but it feels like it's been an eternity. I close my eyes so that no tears escape. Snow will not get any more satisfaction out of this. This is me fighting back.

Another pounds forcefully and a warm liquid runs down my back stinging my skin.

Blood.

I cringe at the feeling. Blood has always disgusted me. It showed pain and suffering even though sometimes only a scratch would bleed, I was bothered. The sensation never would nauseate me or I would start to get light headed or pass out or anything like that, I just didn't like it.

Johanna had mentioned getting small electric shocks first, before whipping. I guess they are going harder on me.

Smack!

Again and again. Faster and faster. The pain worsens the more that they continue and I stand my ground. No tears dared to pool. I am strong. Stronger than he thinks.

I start to wonder what time it is. Or more, how long I've been in here. How long have I been being tortured? After a while my skin has gone numb and the endless pain is no longer. It is simply pointless to keep whipping me. It has no more effect.

()()()()()()

"Katniss..." he hisses like the snake he is. I look up at him in absolute disgust. "Look at me when I talk to you or else, we will have to go to desperate measures," he continues. 

For a moment I debate if I should keep quiet. But, I said I would not give him a satisfaction, I should not keep quiet. I will continue to fight until he actually kills me, until then I am strong.

"Mr. I'm sure I would look at you if only it was pleasing," I bark in absolute disgust practically spitting out my anger like poison. His eyes grow large.

Slam!

He stands up smacking his hand down on his desk for emphasis.

"What did I tell you," was his wicked response, "peacekeeper?" I turn around when the large door swings open revealing a much stronger looking man than I expected.

He comes and holds my arms down with one hand while tying something around my neck with the other. I start to look down ever so slightly and feel a blade scraping my neck, causing me to have to look up.

He claps his hands and wipes them down on his arm rests.

"Now, Ms. Everdeen, or should I say Mellark, I have a surprise for you," he starts.

A large projector screen turns on behind him. He turns to exam it. It starts to play. I see my district presented, or more precisely, the square and bakery. Suddenly large hovercraft a cover the sky. Gale comes on screen carrying children and dragging women behind him, other running.

Something drops from the sky covering the air in a large orange, gray haze and lighting the town on fire. The bakery is gone up in flames in one blast. At first it does not register what is happening. I have to look away.