plagiarism

this is a very messy rant so good luck. and please do feel free to leave a comment on what you think :)

I did say I was going to talk about pll but I honestly have a lot to say on this issue so that will have to wait. 

So as the New Oxford American Dictionary defines it, plagiarism is the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own. In simpler terms, it's taking the work of someone else and claiming that it's yours. It doesn't have to be word for word. Someone rewording a particular work is still committing plagiarism because the idea and input is still there.

There are lots of cases of plagiarism here on wattpad but there are also false cases. I've heard of authors being accused of plagiarism bc their works happen to be similar to someone else's. Instances like these are difficult bc someone could be stating that it isn't plagiarized when it actually is, and vice versa. 

So when it comes to proving whether someone is guilty of plagiarizing or not, you'll need lots of evidence, bc if not then all the bad boys x good girls books would be considered as plagiarized works. I mean, aren't those books the most common in this site? (don't forget those nerd x player ones) But that'll be on another part.

Anyways. Before, i honestly didn't care that much about plagiarism bc I thought the issues would eventually be resolved, but what really got a reaction out of me was this latest issue concerning hepburnettes or noelle aka my favorite writer here on wattpad ( i literally have a whole reading list dedicated to her works). 

If you haven't heard yet, someone has plagiarized her work, Slow Dancing, and has already made money out of it (or at least, was almost going to). It was supposed to be published under her name, under her authorship and that, that is i don't even know what to call it. (plagiarism)

I don't know how that person could've managed to stomach the guilt of making money off of something that someone else worked so hard for. The fact that the accused has the same nationality as me makes me so disappointed and somewhat ashamed. It frustrates me how the publisher could've bypassed the fact that it was plagiarized. There are so many books being published from wattpad in our country (and even made into movies ?) so surely they could've been active on this site, meaning that there was a high chance that they could've known about Slow Dancing.

But putting that aside, i'm very annoyed. Plagiarism is stealing and stealing is a crime. Aside from that, i also don't know how someone could have the capability to just ignore the fact that it wasn't from their mind, that it wasn't from their time and effort. Idek what to think anymore bc that's so cruel. 

I really want to say more but i want to remain open-minded bc i still don't know the plagiarizer's side. Maybe her reasons could change a bit of my opinions. I bet not.