Chapter Twenty-Three

"You still haven't told me." I said. I had been engrossed in conversation with Natsu for the entire day. We exchanged numbers during our time in the football field, and text each other nonstop during fourth period. 

Now, we were in his car, going at a phenomenal speed might I add, on our way to get something to eat.

"About what?" He asked, a glorious grin spread across his face.

"About... your... powers." I chuckled, hearing the absurdity in what I said. He laughed.

"What did I tell you last?"

"You were a... fire..." He nodded to let me know I was on the right track, "A fire dragon... slinger?"

He laughed out loud, "Slayor." I snapped my fingers in disappointment.

"Well, what does that mean? How does it tie in with your Demon abilities?" I asked, and he hesitated.

"I suppose I'll just tell you everything. It'll make it all a lot easier understand." He said, and I nodded enthusiastically.

He began.

"I wasn't always with my... adoptive family. Once I was a normal human who didn't have the slightest idea that magic existed. I don't remember much of what happened during my human-hood though. Laxus has filled me in with the essential events of my first life, since he was fairly close to the man who recreated me." He explained, and I kept my mouth shut so he wouldn't have to diverge into different topics. It was his story after all. 

"That man was my biological brother, Zeref Dragneel. Before I became a Demon, I had a mother, a father, and him, and we were fine. But then catastrophe struck our village, and I was killed along with my mother and father."

I couldn't have carried a more confused expression. They died? How in the hell was I speaking to Natsu then?

"Zeref was the lone survivor of our family," He continued, "And once he found out magic was related to the destruction of our home, he decided he had to fix what had happened. So, he introduced himself into magic. His experiments were innocent, at first, until he came across a book of Dark Magic. Not knowing what the result would be to him, he found the spell he needed to bring a person back to life, and carelessly cast it. He chose me out of our fallen family to bring back, and the spell, while giving me immortality, turned me into a Demon."

"And Zeref?" I asked when he stopped speaking for a moment.

"It... changed him. Possessed him, rather. That book had to be the most demented spell-book of our time, because unknowingly he turned himself into the most demented Dark Mage in the history of wizardry." He explained, "Did Loke tell you about the war between Zeref and the Light Wizards and Spirits?"

"Yeah," I replied, "And I read more into it from the book I got from Strawberry Street."

"Okay," He nodded, "So, I was resurrected a little before that, but I wasn't completely... functional. But after that war, I was done processing, and I soon grew a conscious. Laxus was one of Zeref's key disciples, and he knew firsthand how demented my brother was. He didn't like our way of life and certainly didn't like Zeref's malicious views regarding human souls.

"Laxus has always preferred to survive on the soul energy of animals. It keeps his head clear and makes him feel better about what we are. But Zeref never took to the lifestyle since he was so proud of what he was." Natsu shook his head in disgust, "Soon, Laxus couldn't stand seeing countless humans slaughtered for Zeref and his followers. So, he planned on leaving with his mate, Mirajane.

"But he knew there was a possibility of Zeref disapproving of his departure, and he knew he wouldn't be able to take on Zeref alone. So, while my brother was 'licking his wounds' after the war, Laxus approached me. He showed me that we all have a choice, to succumb to our Dark nature, or to live to be something greater. He showed me compassion when I was nothing but a sack of emotionless power." He said, taking a moment to reflect on his deep respect for his adoptive father, "I took to his and Mira's lifestyle soon after, and I've been trying to maintain it ever since."