Chapter Twenty-Six

The following day, Natsu's car wasn't parked next to my driveway.

My phone rested in my hanging hand with his text message displayed on its screen. 

Natsu: Gajeel and I are going hunting today. I want to make sure I'm ready for Saturday so I won't be at school. Sorry, Luce

Still, I couldn't break my eyes away from the spot his car would usually be waiting in. I was obsessed. I wasn't even embarrassed to admit it now. Was it possible to love someone way too much? I didn't think it was until I met him.

I trudged reluctantly outside to my Beetle, which had been vacant of me for far too long. I apologized to it once I got into the driver's seat, and it purred to life as I backed out of Jude's driveway.

When I arrived to school, the harsh grief that hovered over the school had subsided. Jet sat with rest of my friends in the cafeteria. I scanned the room out of habit, and I noticed Levy sitting with Erza and Jellal, looking bored without her giant, Gajeel. You and me both, sister.

I walked over to my group of friends and took a seat next to Cana. She and Bacchus turned to me and smiled softly, "Hey, Lu." Cana greeted.

"Hey, CeCe." I replied, and my eyes drifted to the others. Jenny and I locked eyes, and before I could wave at her, she turned her attention elsewhere. I didn't even try to greet Ren. He was shooting daggers at me.

He looked... betrayed?

I slouched slightly, looking to Jet. He sat with his head laying in his folded arms. His headphones clung to his ears, and it was as if he wasn't even there.

I wished Natsu was there. He had a way of uplifting my spirit by just being here. I sighed and felt Cana's hand grasp my own. I looked at her and she smiled encouragingly at me. I pointed my eyes at Jenny, and she sighed and shrugged while shaking her head.

Soon enough, the bell rang and we all headed off to class. I was about to approach Jenny, but she gathered her things and walked off.

***

When I got out of AP World History, I spotted Jenny walking through the crowd. I made my way to her and caught her wrist.

She turned to me, looking emotionless at first to see who was trying to get her attention. When she saw it was me, her eyes darkened and the corners of her mouth drooped slightly.

I pulled her to a desolate corner of the hallway, "What's wrong with you?" I asked softly and immediately. She snatched her hand from my grasp.

"Nothing." She said curtly, her head turning to the direction of the cafeteria.

"Jenny." I called, and she slowly met my gaze again, "What... is wrong with you?"

"Why do you care?" She shrugged, and I gasped.

"Well I don't know, I would have thought friends asked about one another when one of them was acting spacey." I said, and she smirked.

"Oh, so I have to tell you that something's wrong for you to get it, do I?" She snapped, and my eyes widened.

I hesitated before saying, "What did I do?"

She chuckled without humor, flipping her ponytail from of off her shoulder, "I guess it's nice to know that you do give a shit about us."