Chapter Thirty-One

"They like you, y'know." Natsu said after my tears had stopped flowing, "Mira especially."

I rose an eyebrow. Why was he speaking as if his family weren't standing right-

Oh.

I looked around to see that we'd been left alone in the piano room, "Where did they go?" I asked, unintentionally sounding disappointed. He chuckled.

"They have a thing about privacy." He explained, and I nodded, looking back at him.

"Well... Not all of them like me." I noted, absentmindedly tapping the keys of his piano. His fiery fingertip came under my chin, pulling my face to his so his lips could peck mine lovingly.

A gasp slipped my throat at the contact. It was unexpected and so breathtaking. Our eyes were still closed when his lips left mine, but our foreheads rested against each other's.

"Don't worry about Erza, sweetheart." He whispered, and my eyes fluttered open to meet his, "I promise she will come around."

I sighed, looking down, "Well... Jellal seems to feel better about me."

"He thinks I'm insane for being with you, but he's... intrigued... And not a lot of things catch his attention like this." Natsu chuckled, nuzzling the tip of his nose against mine, "He's trying to reason with Erza."

I pulled my head back to look at him fully, "What is it that upsets her?"

Natsu sighed, looking down at the keys of his instrument, "Out of all of us, Erza struggles the most with... what we are. It's difficult for her to be open to someone on the outside... To know that someone knows the truth about us, every flaw we have." He explained, and I nodded in understanding of the redhead. "She's also jealous of you."

I gasped. Um... Wha??? 

"Erza is not jealous of me." I stated, and he shook his head.

"Of course she is. And I would know. I mean, I can read her mind." He rolled his eyes, and I clicked my teeth, "You're human, Lucy, and she wishes she was too."

I sat there for a moment. "Oh." I was stunned. I didn't know why, but the idea of her being jealous of me made me feel bad. I changed the subject, "Well, what about Gajeel?"

"Other than his natural discomfort towards you," He started, not looking at me, "He appreciates your bravery. He likes how happy Levy and I have been, even if you take my attention away from hunting with him." He chuckled, and I blinked, "He's sort of been on board with the idea of us since Levy foresaw it."

"She seems pretty... enthusiastic." I said in humor. He smiled, thinking of his little sister.

"She hates having to dial down, to conform to a certain image so as to not disorient people. Not only does she love you, she loves that she can be herself around you." He explained. I grinned involuntarily.

"She doesn't need to filter herself," I said, "Last time I checked there were plenty of chipper teenagers out there."

Natsu sighed, "Yeah, but it would make it all the more strange when she receives her messages." He explained, "She locks up. Could you imagine her being as bubbly as this and then suddenly shutting down?"

The thought alone made me nod in understanding.

"Laxus and Mira?" I continued, and he nodded.

"Mirajane wouldn't care if you had an apple for a head." He laughed, and so did I, "She and Laxus are happy that I'm happy. She's also impressed with how I've been handling this."