3.THE WAN FAMILY

After walking along a hidden track, Wan Huang was finally able to exit the forest, sprinting towards her isolated courtyard.

Witnessing the ramshackle in front of her, for a second she thought she had entered the wrong building. However, when she saw a girl, bawling her eyes out, at the gates, it confirmed her doubts.

She sighed at the appearance of the courtyard, wondering how the previous host used to live here.

It was like an abandoned house. Weeds grew between the unkempt floorboards and cobwebs covered the windowless frames and dark corners. The door hung stubbornly onto the hinges, creaking as it drifts opened or closed.

The girl sobbed before her, was her servant Yaoyao. She grew up with Wan Huang and was loyal to her. After her mother's death, her servants and property were all gradually stolen by the current head wife. Since Yaoyao came from her mother's family, the head wife held no authority over her and thus she remained with Wan Huang.

Wan Huang came from modern times and didn't entertain the concept of slaves or servants…and the betrayal was fresh on her mind…but seeing the girl's tears and loyalty, she decided to keep her.

"Young miss, where were you?” The girl questioned her anxiously.

"Yaoyao was so scared. Yaoyao thought something bad happened you". She sobbed as her eyes and hands ran over her master's body, making sure she was fine.

"Yaoyao, prepare hot water and clothes. I need a bath". She instructed the girl and marched into her room.

After her refreshing bath, dizziness caused by the sleeping gas was out of her system. Climbing onto the bed, she started to sort out her present situation.

She was now at East Yue continent, a  land she had never heard of nor existed in any history books in her past life. As of the place she was at was the country of Chang'an that occupied the northwest side of the East Yue continent.

This world was entirely  different  from the twenty-first modern century she used to live.

This was a time where the world is ruled by different Empires. The royal and noble,aristocratic  families occupied the top of the pyramid crushing the common families at the base.

The materialistic affection for money was just the same as of the modern world but the fundamental difference between a noble and common class depended on the spiritual Qi cultivation.

All people of East Yue continent practised cultivation by absorbing the spiritual Qi a.k.a the spiritual breath and converting it into their inner energy. It was somewhat similar to the internal energy cultivation she had read about in her previous life. 

Those who were strong and powerful were respected while those who were unable to cultivate were ridiculed as good for nothings and deemed as trash, bringing shame to their family.

This is a place where strong rules over the weak.

Li Huang was reborn as Wan Huang, the sixth young miss of the the Wan family which was one of the top reputed aristocratic families of the nation of Chang'an.

With her status as a young miss of an aristocratic  family, she ought to have received care and concern from her family, but what was the reason for her current dire situation? 

The Wan family's reputation as a top family was not just a title for it had produced many peerless talents over the past generations and had also assisted many generations of rulers of the royal family of Chang'an.

The Wan family's current patriarch Wan Qiu who is Wan Huang’s grandfather, was an imperial tutor to the current emperor and the bosom friend of the previous emperor.

He retired from court politics and focused on cultivating, being one among the powerful cultivators in Chang'an, ranked 7th with his cultivation at Profound SKY stage level 8.

He married two wives, who bore him two sons and two daughters. His first wife died early and his second wife is now the matriarch of Wan family.

His eldest son Wan Zijin, Wan Huang’s uncle, is the son from his first wife and an exemplary talent when it comes to cultivation. He is ranked tenth in the list of cultivators, with his cultivation at profound SKY stage level 5, possessing a rare elemental attribute-Ice. He pursues the path of cultivation and often guides the younger generation of Wan family in cultivation.

He married the younger sister of the emperor, who gave up her princess title to marry Wan Zijin. She bore him two children- a son and a daughter. 

Wan Qiu's second son- Wan Jahao, father of Wan Huang, inherited his father's talent in politics becoming the current right prime minister in court.

He is the Wan family head and because he is more into politics, lags in cultivation reaching only the profound EARTH stage level 9. He currently has a wife and a concubine.

Wan Huang's mother- Fan Guiying, from Fan apothecary family was Wan Jahao's main wife. She died of sickness four years ago.

His current main wife is Yan Wangyin, from the Yan family who are merchants. She and Wan Jahao were in love, but could marry him only as a concubine due to her family background. She became his main wife, after the former main wife's death, not only due to her rank but also because of her children.

Wan Jahao's concubine Zhong Guqing from the Zhong family is the daughter of a concubine and was married against her will into the Wan family.

She held hatred towards the Zhong family who sold her to gain favours from Wan Family. She hated the Wan Family even more, for the insults and oppression she faced from them. She never interfered in Wan family matters, living a recluse life in her courtyard.

After Fan Guying's death, she secretly helped Wan Huang multiple times by sending her food and some money.

As she kept recollcting the memories, a sudden burning pain on her left forearm interrupted  her.