34. TO FOLLOW

The chirpings of the morning risers called out the first beams of sunlight. A cool breeze ruffled through the autumn leaves bringing along with it the morning fragrance.

After a good night's sleep, Wan Huang woke up pleased with the morning sounds. Wan Fang woke up too, listening to the sounds of nature.

Her eyes met with Wan Huang's and she awkwardly pulled her gaze, when Wan Huang's silvery voice sounded.

"Good morning and thanks."

Wan Fang glanced at the small jar that Wan Huang held, her eyes shifting to Wan Huang's face.

There was a sunny smile on her face. Wan Fang's thoughts blanked out for a second before she replied.

"Good morning."

Both of them said no more and busied themselves in morning routines.
***

Wan Huang and Wan Fang left for classes together.

Seeing Wan Huang back in class together with them, they all had a contemptuous expression on their faces as if even going near her would cost their lives. They were even more surprised to see Wan Fang beside her.

Getting along with a vicious person like Wan Huang, Wan Fang's reputation took a hit. The subject paid no heed to the ridiculing glances on her and walked her way towards the classroom.

Wan Huang and Wan Fang took the only remaining seats, in the back of the class, isolated from everyone. Murmurs rose in the class which paused at the entry of Ren Weilin and Yun Shan.

Heads cocked from door to the back of the class. Ren Weilin and Yun Shan also noticed this, following the gazes they saw Wan Huang in the last seat.

Ren Weilin pushed aside Yun Shan and ran towards Wan Huang.

"Li Huang, am glad that you're here. Are you okay? Was the punishment too painful?" She put on a concerned expression.

"Li Huang, I know what happened was an accident. I know you didn't mean to do it. Am sorry, I was in pain from the injury last time and couldn't think properly. If I explained everything, then you didn't need to take the punishment."

She pursed her lips and tears started to spill from her eyes. Yuan Shan's heart ached on seeing such a vulnerable Ren Weilin.

"Li Huang, I never thought you were such a vicious girl. Haven't you harmed Weilin enough? Why are you still not letting her go?"

Wan Huang rolled her eyes over Yun Shan's shameless words.

"Am telling you, I love Weilin and I'll go to any length to protect her. So don't try to do crooked things to catch my attention. You are not worthy."

The whole class wowed at Yun Shan's declaration of love and nodded their heads in acknowledgement. He gathered Ren Weilin into his embrace and strode towards their seat.

Wan Fang scoffed at Yun Shan's words while Wan Huang picked her ears in annoyance.

Another entourage entered the classroom. It was the five new geniuses of the sect.

Wan Huang recognised Wan Bei and Chu Tianyin among the five. She didn't know the name of the other three.

Behind them entered their followers, each moving to their seats.

It didn't take long for the master to come.

Bored and sleepy from the lecture, Wan Huang began playing with the paper crumbs on her desk.

Dragging on for two hours, the class finally ended. There were no training sessions and everyone dispersed to do their things.

Seeing Wan Huang's confused gaze, Wan Fang relayed her the news of impending sect trials after eight months. They only needed to attend the lectures and for training sessions, they could practice on their own.

An idea immediately went off in Wan Huang's mind and she rushed towards the mission pavilion with Wan Fang in tow.

Her eyes ran through all the mission posters on the wall and randomly selected three with high honor points.
She then went to report the mission when Wan Fang stopped her.

"It's dangerous." Wan Fang saw the level of difficulty for these missions. Initially, she thought Wan Huang picked it up by accident, but then she was sure she did take up this mission seriously.

Wan Huang just gave a smile in reply and reported the mission.

The guy who was registering the missions could not care enough who took what missions as he was just filling up for his friend's absence.

"How many are going?".

"One."
"Two." Wan Fang cut in.

The guy looked at them irritated. "How many are going?" He repeated.

"Two." Wan Fang announced before Wan Huang could say anything. "I am going with you."

After giving their names and receiving the storage bag, both left together.

Wan Fang realised that Wan Huang wanted to go out and gain experience. She didn't want her to go alone and fall into danger so she decided to tag along.

Returning to the room, Wan Huang tried to advice Wan Fang. "This journey will be full of danger. You don't need to come with me."

"I know it will be dangerous, so am coming with you. Am not afraid of anything."

Wan Huang tried one more time to persuade Wan Fang but the latter plugged her ears and went on to pack her bags.

Wan Huang gave up persuading and went to pack her things. In her heart, she longed for a friend who would stay by her side and not betray her. Witnessing Wan Fang's sincerity, she wished for this friendship to work out. So she decided to allow Wan Fang to follow her.

Both girls prepared their things by night and hit the hay early to leave at the crack of dawn.

Wan Huang and Wan Fang left the sect at the first rays of the sun. Showing their token to leave the sect for missions, they exited the gates and descended the mountain while everyone was still asleep in their beds.

Wan Fang only knew what the mission was. She didn't know its location nor did she bothered to ask about it. She trusted Wan Huang's decision and followed after her.

Wan Fang wasn't sure when such sentiments took root in her heart. She was a loner from her childhood.

From the moment she remembered, she witnessed the dirty schemes in the Wan Family. Her mother being bullied, a concubine lording over the head wife, cruel punishments, sisters scheming against each other, a father and a grandfather who only acknowledged power.

The young Wan Fang was numbed by the cruel reality of life and she ran away from home. If not for meeting her eccentric master the child would have lost her hopes in life and trust in humanity.

The master took care of her like a daughter. He taught her, made her realize her innate talent, gave her a reason to live and to be strong. He took her away from the hell and nurtured her.

She grew well under his care becoming strong day by day. With the backing of her master, her mother suffered less, although abandoned by both the Wan family and her maternal family.

Later her master had to leave and he told her to enter the Celestial Jade sect at all cost. She didn't want to part with him and refused, but he made her agree by promising to meet her if she entered the sect.

She didn't return to the Wan family and stayed at her master's hut till she left for celestial jade sect selections. Even though she never returned home, she still received news from her mother's secret letters.

After entering the sect, she planned to remain alone but unexpectedly a friendship formed among her, Li Huang, Ren Weilin and Yun Shan.

But that too crumbled after she realised Ren Weilin's hypocrisy and Yun Shan's shamelessness.

But she never felt she was alone, again, because she felt there was some sort of connection between her and Li Huang.

She chose to trust her, was willing to believe her. That's why even when she knew it was going to be a dangerous one, she followed Li Huang on her journey.