fourth: awake

Thank you to anticlimactic for the new cover! I adore it so much! 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up to a presence.

My eyelids fluttered open. I gazed at the floor length window to my right. Sunlight cascaded onto the maroon carpet below. I could hear the soft chirping of the birds outside. My body seemed to have healed itself somewhat, no immediate reminders of the pain plagued me. I turned my face to the left, my heart leaping to my chest.

Grayson.

His eyes were closed, his chest rising and falling softly. His dark, long lashes casting shadows on his cheeks. His brown hair tumbling onto his forehead.

I moved closer to him, burying my face in his chest and breathing in his scent. My stomach clenched in nervousness. He was here. I was home.

He stirred and I whispered softly against his chest, "How did you find me?"

He was quiet. His hands reached for me and pulled me close. He stroked my back gently, placing his chin on the top of my head before answering. "I really didn't think there was any other place you'd go to."

My heart somersaulted at his familiar, deep, sexy voice. I could feel the tremors of the sound against his chest. I shut my eyes, silently listening to his heartbeat.

"Are you mad at me?"

He didn't answer right away. "Yes."

I sighed and lifted my face up to look at him, "I...I'm sorry. I...I didn't realize-"

He sighed and turned his face away from me, gazing up at the ceiling. "Victoria wants to try again. She asked me to move back in with her."

I felt like an invisible sword had impaled me.

"She says being...so close to death gave her a new perspective," He sighed softly, shutting his eyes, "She said it was a mistake. That...she was sorry. For everything."

I waited for him to continue. But he didn't. My heart ripped into pieces. White hot agony ravaging me. A deep chasm expanding uncontrolled in my chest.

I moved away from him. He half glanced at me but didn't move closer, something that crushed me more. We lay silently. The only sound that of his breathing. I felt like an invisible wall had suddenly sprung up between us. I gazed at him. He was too perfect. Too good. Too patient.

"She said...she wants to start a family again."

He could have reached down my throat and twisted my heart. The effect his words had on me were worse.

I rose to my feet slowly, reaching for the clothes that Scarlett had left at the foot of my bed. I pulled them on as fast as I could, my fingers numb. Normally I would love for him to see my naked body. Because of the way he complimented me. Desired me. At that moment, I couldn't think of a worse situation.

My body trembled. I had been ready for this ever since I saw their intertwined fingers. I knew I could give him nothing. She was older. More mature. She could give him a family.

In contrast I was a broke, immature, ex- spy with no qualifications who had just tried to cheat on him.

He gazed at me as I pulled on the clothes. I took a step away from the bed as he sat up straight. I looked at his disheveled hair, his startling eyes, his lips. He was brave. Kind. He was a vision in every single way. A vision so out of my league that I now felt like an idiot for ever trying to reach for him. My voice sounded strangled when I spoke.