+seventeenth: sin

I was on the verge of a constant breakdown.

I didn't want Gray to worry about me, so I put on a brave face and left for University early morning on Monday. When I reached, I wanted to return to him. I hated how everytime I left home, I felt like a lost puppy.

The morning classes were effective to take my mind away from everything for a while. I returned to my room in the evening, exhausted and terrified to be left alone with my thoughts. When I entered my room, to my shock however, I found Jeremiah laying on his bed. I walked over to him.

"Hey, Easton," he smiled but looked like he was in pain, making it look like almost a grimace. His face was pale, his eyes dull. "Good...weekend?"

I gently touched his forehead and found it burning. "Jem, you have a fever."

He shut his eyes and groaned. "Man, I can't fucking-"

"We should take you to see a doctor, Jem."

"No," he shook his head. "It's probably just exhaustion or something, man. If...if it persists I'll go."

"Do you have an appetite?" I asked, studying him worriedly. "Any other discomfort?"

"Yeah...my appetite is fine. In fact-" he glanced at me. "Would you mind getting me some dinner? I think I'll be staying in."

I nodded. "Also," I went over to my side of the room and picked up the bottle of water. I placed it on his table. "Make sure to drink a lot of water."

He chuckled. "You sound like my mom, dude."

"Well she's not wrong. And neither am I," I walked towards the door and turned to look at him again, my heart seizing with worry. "I'll bring you dinner. And, in case you feel worse don't try to hide it alright?"

He didn't answer but nodded slightly as I left the room.

Thankfully, despite his fever, Jeremiah had an appetite and chatted with me genially. I checked his temperature again and was relieved to find out that it had normalized. I waited till he fell asleep and then decided to go on a run across the campus.

It was dusk. I loved the golden, orange light of the sun as it bathed the grass. People were milling around in the serene atmosphere. The rain during the weekend had lowered the temperature to a pleasant one and the breeze that was blowing was still cool. I spotted Caleb walking across the grounds and towards the lab. My heart fluttered slightly.

I watched him disappear into the building and making a split second decision, decided to follow him.

I entered the chemistry lab and saw him bent over the counter, his eyes narrowed as he keenly studied whatever was in front of him. His eyes snapped up towards me when I entered, a dazzling smile spreading on his face. "Hey, Xavier. Nice of you turn up."

I shrugged, wondering why the fuck I had followed Caleb Kingsley. I shoved my hands into my hoodie and walked over to him nonchalantly. "How come you're here?"

He sighed and shook his head, raking a hand through his hair.

"I have a practical exam next week, just thought I'd practice," he smirked slightly and I felt my cheeks heating up. The light of the dusky sun reflected on his chiseled features. "What about you? Were you just attracted by my raw sexual magnetism?"

Yes.

"Don't flatter yourself," I said as I went and stood beside him near the counter. I saw a number of chemicals that I hadn't got to use yet. Some beakers, test tubes and droppers were also kept neatly.

"I hate trying to create something of a specific concentration," he shook his head. He lifted a test tube with a colourless liquid inside and swirled it. I gazed mesmerized as the shimmering sunlight reflected off the water like little sparkles. He grimaced. "I hate it."