twelfth: dangerous

The Northern Heart Hospital was the biggest one I had ever seen.

We walked into the hallway as I gazed around in wonder. Usually, I hated hospitals because they always brought in memories of me being drugged, medicated or routine check ups. This time however, I was here with an academic mind frame. I vaguely wondered if being such a frequent visitor to the hospital had made me more interested in medicine. It did sound like a very plausible explanation.

We entered the sleek log hallways and at once, I noticed several nurses and even some doctors smiling and acknowledging Caleb. He seemed to be pretty popular.

"Ileana!"

Caleb called to a young nurse who smiled at him. She had a brown notepad in her hand as she walked over to him, giving him a dazzling smile. "Caleb!"

She came and stood in front of us, glancing at me curiously. "Friend?"

Caleb nodded. "This is Xavier Easton. He's a student at the university."

Illeana nodded and smiled at me. "Nice to meet you Xavier."

I smiled at her as Caleb spoke again. "Do you have any idea where I can find Victor?"

Ileana nodded at him. "He just got off duty. Might be in the cafeteria I think."

Caleb smiled at her and thanked her. "Alright, thanks!" his hand grasped mine firmly as he started leading me away. We walked through the long white hallway as I gazed around in wonder. Somehow, seeing people in white coats always ignited this strange hope in my heart. I had been interested in medicine ever since a child, devouring whatever little information that came my way. I liked to think that I was quite knowledgeable for a high school dropout. 

He led me down an elevator which reached the basement and I found myself in a bustling cafeteria. The cafeteria was in the second basement. The first one, right above it seemed to be some sort of a storage room from what Caleb told me. There was another below it which served as an underground parking. I realized that this hospital was even bigger a deal than I had initially thought it was. White, round benches lay in the high ceilinged room. There was a large counter near the opposite wall and bright red chairs surrounding the tables. He led me to a middle aged man who's eyes were fixed on his phone screen. A steaming cup of coffee sat untouched in front of him.

"Hey Vic," Caleb spoke jovially, making the guy jump and gape at us for a while before his face broke into a smile. 

"Kingsley!"

Caleb pulled a chair and sat beside him, gesturing for me to take a seat as well as he spoke. "This is Xavier Easton Vic," he nodded at me. "Victor Montgomery, the coolest guy you'll ever meet."

"Ah, so he's the guy you told m about." Victor grinned, his coppery hair tumbling onto his forehead. Inspite of myself, I felt my cheeks heating up. 

"Er...told what?"

Caleb smiled shyly at me, "Nothing." He widened his eyes in warning as victor laughed. 

"Xavier is also really interested in medicine," Caleb said. "So, I was wondering if you could maybe help guide him or something."

Victor smiled genially. "That is great to know Xavier," his pale, blue eyes were soft. "It is always great to meet a fellow medicine enthusiast."

"What is your specialty?" I asked curiously.

"Nephrology," he answered. "Although, I initially wanted neurology," he shook his head. "That shit is just devilishly hard to get into."

"Nephrology sounds really cool too," I answered. "You must get a lot of patients. Kidneys...well they're a massive deal."