thirtieth: suture

Dedicated to omgitsarese for motivating me to serve more piping hot tea :")

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lights. Colours. Sounds. Memories.

Vivid colours flashed across the eye of my mind. I slowly became aware of lying on a mattress. My body throbbed with a dull ache. My head felt like a rock.

I slowly opened my eyes, the bright white ceiling floating into my vision. My throat felt dry, I became aware that I was lying on an unfamiliar bed. The memories crashed into me in a suffocating avalanche. Without thinking, without really planning, I croaked out. "Gray?"

"Here, baby."

 My heart wrenched painfully in my chest. I slowly turned to face him, my heart beating feebly in exhaustion. He clasped my hands in his and smiled softly. "How are you feeling, love?"

He sat on a chair right beside my bed. I weakly squeezed his hand back. "I'm okay. How long was I...out?"

I gazed at the tiny window fixated at the top of the wall behind his head. It was dark outside and I couldn't tell how many hours had passed. He leaned over and kissed the top of my head. "Same night. You'll feel a little weak for a while, Xaby. But they will discharge you in a few days."

I nodded and slowly sat up straight, feeling the stiffness in my sides and gently pressing the thick bandage around my waist. 

"The wound was a little deep," Gray said. "The blood loss was what made it critical. We needed a transfusion and AB was a little difficult to find. But..." he stuttered. "We...found a matching donor."

I glanced at him slowly, observing the edge in his voice. He sighed uncomfortably and averted his eyes.

"Gray? What's wrong?"

"I'm sorry, Xavier," he spoke, his voice constricted. "But...we needed a quick match and... I contacted him out of desperation."

I was quiet, my heart racing in anticipation as he continued. 

"I...I called Michael."

The breath rushed out of my lungs. I couldn't believe I had his blood inside me. I couldn't believe after everything he had done, he had the audacity to save my life. 

"He told me I shouldn't tell you...but...I can't lie to you now, Xav," his voice was hesitant. Terrified. "I'm sorry."

I stroked a thumb on the back of his hand, somehow too weary to care. I was done with lies and manipulation. I was done with grudges. Each time I came to the brink of death, I realised there wasn't enough time for any of that. I gazed at Gray, my vision slightly better. I knew if he was in any situation as I had been, I would have gone to the end of the world to save him.

"Is he...here?" I asked softly, my throat burning. "Michael?"

He took in a sharp breath, biting his lip and I got my answer. I spoke softly, "I...can I see him?"

"Scarlett is here too, Xaby. And Jeremiah."

I nodded, aching to ask the burning question that was gnawing at my insides. "Caleb..."

"His wounds were multiple but not fatal. He's stable. But...well...he'll be dealt with suitably for trafficking and attempted murder."

I was quiet, shuddering slightly at whatever had come over me at the morgue. I hadn't planned on stabbing him. But seeing him reach for the revolver and the possibility of forming in my mind that he might hurt Gray pushed me to the edge. The thought of losing him was unfathomable, especially because of my own immaturity. I couldn't live with it.