chapter twelve

Harry

Within the last two weeks, the thought of being friends with Emily has started to just feel... right.

We'd called a few times, but it had never been as usual as we did when we were dating, and I think that's what was making this feel right. The fact that we were actually acting like friends without one of us freaking out was something that seemed normal. 

I got up once I'd heard a knock on my door. Knowing it would be Emily I made my way over, opening it and revealing, none other then a very happy Emily.

"Hello" She said, a slight giggle in her voice and telling me she was really happy to be here.

"Hello" I chuckled. I couldn't help myself from looking down to see how she looked. And as usual, she looked effortlessly good. Her hair was pulled back into a messy bun. She was wearing the familiar blue, ripped skinny jeans with a white shirt tucked in. She'd paired her outfit with her usual white sneakers and a brown sweater.

"Are you gonna let me in, or continue checking me out" I could hear the joke in her voice, but I knew that was exactly what I was doing

"Are you gonna let me in, or continue checking me out" I could hear the joke in her voice, but I knew that was exactly what I was doing. I pulled my eyes back up to meet hers to find she was giving me her familiar cheeky smirk.

"No actually, I will not be letting you in because we're just gonna go straight away" I responded, mirroring her smirk. "I will be going in to retrieve our food and-"

"And you're going to leave me on your doorstep?" She cut me off with a chuckle.

"Shut up" I mumbled, turning around and walking in with her following.

"I thought I was buying food anyway" She added, stopping by the kitchen counter as I grabbed our bag of food.

"That wouldn't be very gentlemen like of me would it?" I instantly regretted saying it at the sound of Emily's breath hitching.

"You don't need to be gentlemen like, remember?" She said. I turned to her, pursing my lips and trying to figure out whether she was being serious. And by the look on her face, she was.

"We can still be friends with me being a gentlemen, remember?" I replied, mocking her from before. I'd meant for this to come out lightly, but instead the way I'd said it had caused things to tense up. "Let's just go, yeah?"

"Mhm"

. . .

The drive to the park hadn't been at all what I'd expected. I'd thought conversation would flow easily, but from what I'd said before and the way I'd said it, it had caused things to have a slight uncomfortable feeling to it.

Emily had stayed quiet, resting her head on the window. I knew she was in deep thought about something, so I'd stayed quiet as well, not wanting to interrupt her thoughts. 

Luckily, when we'd gotten to the park, things had eased down and it was like the whole conversation from before had been forgotten. Which was definitely better because I would not be able to bear spending this whole day in forced and awkward conversation.