chapter twenty-nine

Emily

I'd been in London for just over a week now and the cafe was opening today. I'd made sure to get up earlier than usual, which wasn't hard because I was woken by Ellie's cries at six in the morning. But, I didn't much care because she'd been sleeping a whole lot easier these past few days. 

To say I was nervous would be an understatement. I was close to bloody terrified. I know I'd worked in the cafe for ages now and there shouldn't be any reason for the nerves, but I was still working alongside Hugh for the first time, in London.

Turns out Hugh had been planning to work in a cafe as a side job for a while now, so there wasn't much that I needed to do for preparation. He'd shown me what he thought would be a great cafe and, well... it was definitely more than great.

I hadn't seen it in person yet and rather just photos. But as I got out of the taxi that had driven me here, my mouth dropped open. The place was gorgeous.

There were white chairs and wooden tables set up outside, each with a small plant and small basket that held salt, pepper and some sugar sachets. There were also some plants and cute globes hanging from the pergola for when it was dark and a standing chalk board that had the specials written down.

I slowly made my way over, turning around as I walked so I could take everything in. It was by far larger than the cafe in Ireland and I'd only seen the outside.

"Emily!" I turned around at Hugh's cheery voice, finding a big smile on his face that I couldn't help but return.

"Hugh! This is amazing!" I gushed, doing another slow 360 turn as I continued to look over the outside of the cafe.

"Yes, I had a feeling you would love it" He said happily as I began to walk towards him. "Wait until you see the inside" He added, the two of us turning around and beginning our way inside.

Once again, my mouth dropped open as soon as I saw a glimpse of the inside. Plants hung from the roof, just like outside as well as the small plants and baskets that sat on the wooden tables. One of the two cafe counters was already filled with an assortment of aesthetic decorations as well as two coffee machines. This counter didn't have the till and so I was guessing this would be where the customers would retrieve their takeaway orders. There were plenty of stools surrounding the counter as well.

I turned around to look at the next counter, finding this one did in fact have the till. This counter was also decorated with an assortment of plants and other decorations.

I walked over to one of the doors, pushing it open and finding this was the kitchen. There were all the different cookware and utensils. Pots and pans hanging from from wooden racks, glasses and coffee mugs lined up on plenty of shelves, plates and bowls of different sizes and a stack load of black cutlery. There were plenty of electric mixers, stoves and ovens as well as cupboards that I guessed held some of the food and other needed cookware like chopping boards and mixing spoons.

I walked back out in awe, finding Hugh waiting patiently with a smile on his face that was definitely no where near as wide as the grin on mine.

"We also have a large office through this door" Hugh told me, pointing over to the second door that I hadn't been through yet. I nodded my head excitedly, biting my lip and doing yet another 360 turn.

"This place is stunning!" I said, unable to hold my excitement in. 

"I'm glad you think so" Hugh replied, also letting his eyes flicker over the magnificent cafe. "The staff working today should be arriving soon, but for now you can do whatever you'd like" He added. I nodded my head confusedly, watching as Hugh began to make his way into the office.