chapter twenty-four

Emily

"But I want you to run it in London" 

It felt like time had stopped. Max and Bella were now moving around the cafe and taking orders in slow motion. The laughter and chatter of customers turned into background noise.

Hugh wanted me to run this cafe in London and running this cafe in London meant moving to London. He wanted me to move to London.

This couldn't be right. Ireland was my home. At least it used to feel like that. Molly had left to London and now this cafe could be moving to London. That meant the only thing left making this place feel like home is my family-

My family.

If I moved, I would be leaving Mum, Dad, Ally, Matt and Tommy. Thinking about moving away from them a few months ago was nothing compared to thinking about it now. I could actually be leaving them. I wouldn't be seeing them as often as I'd like to. Instead I'd be running a cafe, in London. But I'd be around more people I loved. Molly, Niall, Harry-

Harry.

This is the exact thing that had ended our relationship. This is what I'd said no to doing. And I'd said no because the only thing stopping me was this cafe and my family. But it would now only be my family that would be stopping me from wanting to leave.

Suddenly, the background noise faded back into the loud chatter and laughter, Max and Bella returned to their usual speed and Hugh began talking again.

"Running this cafe in London could attract so many more customers than you already have. This is your typical cozy and bubbly cafe, and that's what Londoners love. You could even have Molly begin working with you again, if she wants that is, seeing as she already lives in London" Hugh said, but I was too shocked and confused to say anything. "Of course, this is entirely up to you and I don't want to push you for an answer. But I really do mean what I say about you having potential and being very talented"

"But- but why me? What's it to you if I run this cafe in London?" I blurted out before I could stop myself. I realised what I'd said may have come out harsher than intended and I quickly went to cover my mouth in shock, but Hugh chuckled before speaking again.

"Well, I was hoping you would want to work alongside me, or me work alongside you for that matter, seeing as this is your cafe" He began. "I've been wanting to start a cafe up for a while now, but I never found the time to do so. However, my assistant came up with the idea of working with an already existing one and after contacting several people and asking who they suggest, I made my way over to your cafe" Hugh said proudly, causing my mouth to drop open.

"My- my cafe? People have- people have recommended my cafe?" I asked in shock, earning another chuckle from Hugh.

"Yes! From what I heard this cafe was truly incredible and so I had to come and see for myself. And I was definitely impressed" I had a thousand and one questions running through my mind right now, all ones that were wanting, or rather needing answers to.

"So you want me to move to London? Run this cafe in London? Work alongside you?" I asked, trying to repeat the shocking things he'd already told me. Hugh nodded his head and I rested my elbow on the table, covering my mouth and shaking my head in disbelief. "I- I don't know what to say. I mean, this... this is incredible but, there's so much I have to think about and-"

"And I don't want to push you for an answer Emily. So I'm willing to give you a few days to make up your mind. Here's my number and my assistants" Hugh told me, sliding over what I'm guessing was one of his business cards. "You can call either of us if you have any questions"